Storm handbrake handle

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Storm handbrake handle

Post by John Wilson »

I've just fitted a Storm handbrake handle to match the gear knob I have. It turned out to be a bit of a pain to do. The new button is meant to fit over the old one and then is secured by allen keys. The problem was that it was too small to fit over. I eventually got it on with hammering and damage to the old button. Then I found the racket wouldnt work with it fitted, and after trying to readjust it many times, I found that I had to remove the hard plastic ring that sits behind the old button so that the new button slides in and out freely enough. I havent come across anyone else with problems with this before, and I like the quality and look of Storm products generally, so I was wondering if this is just a one off. It looks good now it's on and working.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Storm handbrake handle

Post by pedro20001 »

Hi had exactly. Same. Problem. Ended up sanding / filing the chrome plating off the button which was a nightmare but once fitted works beautifully. Also bought gear know and lighter blank. Expensive but high quality and really lifts the interior
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

The storm products are fantastic quality
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I agree. They are good quality turnings and look good, but, at the price you pay, it's not asking too much that they fit according to their own instructions. All they had to do was to measure the diameter of the existing button, and made their inside diameter a bit bigger than that. It doesnt even have to be a snug fit as it's tightened on with allen screws.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

true, I agree another 0.2mm measured using verniers was all that storm needed to reduce the internal diameter of the button to allow it to slip on easier. I did consider emailing them at the time but once i had got the file out, it was the point of no return!!