SACH (OEM) springs/shocks on Europarts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

SACH (OEM) springs/shocks on Europarts

Post by fish »

http://www.eurocarparts.com

Just stripping my car down and noted that it has SACH springs etc….looking on Europarts, you can get a whole set of springs AND shocks for £391 all in….they appear to discounted down quite a bit….certainly cheaper when compared to BMW direct on ebay etc
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: SACH (OEM) springs/shocks on Europarts

Post by TomH84 »

Eurocarparts are even cheaper through their ebay site. Search for carpartssaver under sellers. Free delivery too.

Just got a set of Sachs rear shocks for £66 ish

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Daz 999 »

Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up on that EBay store.

I've looked at Real Oem for the part number to cross reference with the oem equivalent numbers on the ebay site but cant find a match for my 2.2 sport (33526753263). Do you know if this is important or would shocks for a 2.2 with standard suspension be ok?

Darrell
ImageImageImage

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Darrell, Unless I Am Mistaken, Its The Anti Roll Bar And Size Of Bushes That Determine The M Sports Suspension. I Have A Sport 2.2 Too. Ian
Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Daz 999 »

Hi Ian, its probably ok, its just that i noticed that there are two different part numbers on real oem, one for standard, one for m sport

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=33&fg=45

hope this linky works......
ImageImageImage

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I would respectively recommend caution and double-checking before replacing the MTECH/Msport suspension via Eurocarparts. I haven't got it myself, but understand that the cars are 20mm lower, have different (shorter) coil springs, different (firmer) shocks and thicker ARBs. It was quite a significant/sporty upgrade. :D
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Del wrote:I would respectively recommend caution and double-checking before replacing the MTECH/Msport suspension via Eurocarparts. I haven't got it myself, but understand that the cars are 20mm lower, have different (shorter) coil springs, different (firmer) shocks and thicker ARBs. It was quite a significant/sporty upgrade. :D
^^Good shout, however the ride height is just 15mm lower than standard though.
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

Personally, I'd want exact replacement for stock parts, but others with much more knowledge will advise on this.

..,If you can't find the exact match on the eBay site, I suggest you call eurocarparts. You can usually negotiate a discount if you order multiple bits over the phone. Their sales team work to aggressive targets and don't like letting you put down the phone without a sale :squeeze: Just listen in on the call centre staff next time you're at a (big) branch

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

I replaced all the shocks on my M44 with these Sachs from carparts4less, I believe they are the same company (eurocarparts) but seem even cheaper with discount vouchers. I would think the shocks can be used on any of the non-M versions but of course the spring sizes and rates would be different for the sport versions. Don't forget to change the top mounts as well..
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

just done exactly the same - 2001 2.2 titanium ( sport suspension) at 60 k - front shocks were absolutely knackered. i have kept sport springs but used sachs super touring shocks all round, meyle hd rear top mounts, skf front top mounts and meyle hd tie and track rod ends, what a difference! definately recommended :D
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Daz 999 wrote:Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up on that EBay store.

I've looked at Real Oem for the part number to cross reference with the oem equivalent numbers on the ebay site but cant find a match for my 2.2 sport (33526753263). Do you know if this is important or would shocks for a 2.2 with standard suspension be ok?

Darrell

Had a chance to get my shock off today as part of my refurb….these 2 numbers I guess are BMW & SACH's part #'s…..
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Daz 999 wrote:Hi Ian, its probably ok, its just that i noticed that there are two different part numbers on real oem, one for standard, one for m sport

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=33&fg=45

hope this linky works......
Yeah, have had a chance to look now…when I made the post, I was generalising about the shocks etc….but in response to you, I was going off memory and not had remembered seeing the S702 option for sports etc…It makes sense that they are lower/stiffer, I just hadn't seen anything in writing as such, as had not looked to deep into it….
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Daz 999 wrote:Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up on that EBay store.

Darrell
At least RealOEM recognises the Z3 with/without the MSport suspension - when our Z4 had a broken rear spring RealOEM didn't recognise the VIN and when I phoned the dealer they couldn't find the car either. Turned out that for the Z4 with sports suspension all the parts are BMW special order!!!!

I suspect that for "normal" driving you wouldn't notice any difference between the Sachs (I've got them on the my Z3) and the Sports shocks - what you will notice is the vast improvement going from 10 year old shocks to new ones.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Daz 999 »

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

So just to summarise, I can replace my rear shocks and top mounts with standard shocks/mounts, the ride height wont be affected as it is determined by the springs? :dunce:

It will definately be a comfier ride as the rear of the car doesnt bounce (or even hardly move!) when i press down on the wings.... :shock:

Darrell
ImageImageImage

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Link to the Sachs catalogue - shows Z3 MT/MS suspension as part numbers 556 212 (rear) and 115 691 & 2 (fronts). May help :D

http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/ ... log_au.pdf
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Del wrote:Link to the Sachs catalogue - shows Z3 MT/MS suspension as part numbers 556 212 (rear) and 115 691 & 2 (fronts). May help :D

Funnily enough, I emailed ZF today as their onlibe catalogue did not distinguish a sport version, yet its dead clear here…4 springs & shocks from BMW would be £1,150 ! I also note that ZF own BOGE too etc….

Ian
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

fish wrote:
Del wrote:Link to the Sachs catalogue - shows Z3 MT/MS suspension as part numbers 556 212 (rear) and 115 691 & 2 (fronts). May help :D

Funnily enough, I emailed ZF today as their onlibe catalogue did not distinguish a sport version, yet its dead clear here…4 springs & shocks from BMW would be £1,150 ! I also note that ZF own BOGE too etc….

Ian
Hello Ian

We no longer have these parts listed.

Kind Regards
Tim

This ticket will be closed within 30 days – please contact us if the solution provided does not work for you.

For further questions or updates please contact ZF Services UK Ltd., telephone: +44 844 2570333.

Always provide your request ID when contacting us regarding this request, please.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

On any BMW internet forum you'll find people puzzling about the aftermarket equivalent for the M Sport/M Tech suspension i.e. fitted to non-M cars. Only those who have access to the inter-sanctum of the BMW secret squirrel club seem to know the secret. :D

I've seen Sachs Advantage, Sachs Super Touring and Bilstein B4 all mentioned as possibilities. As the springs were only lowered by 15mm I'd be fairly confident that standard length shocks were used.