Squeal from Rear Wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Nad

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Squeal from Rear Wheel

Post by Nad »

First long fast run yesterday and when I came off the motorway and started on the country roads a loud squeal started from the o/s rear wheel I thought that a small stone had got between the brake splash guard and the disc, so stopped and had a look nothing to be seen. When I got home I removed the wheel brake calliper and the disc, but no sign of any rubbing, I did notice the retaining springs holding the handbrake shoes appeared to be weak but nothing else a miss.
I spun the wheel to see if the wheel bearing was Ok and there was no noise or play there. Reassembled the small brake shoes and adjusted them, refitted the disc and calliper, :)
Took the car for a long fast and slow road test and no squeal, I don't know what caused it, may be the shoe adjustment :?: who knows just keep my fingers crossed it don't come back.
Sorry for the long winded story but may be some of you had or has the same problem.
Nad
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Squeal from Rear Wheel

Post by Robert T »

Could easily have been a small stone which worked its way out when you applied the brakes to stop. Binding brake callipers are not uncommon, so if you have a problem with your brakes, a quick run round the car and check to see if any of the wheels are hot (be careful as they can be VERY hot). Was there any evidence of scoring on the disc?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Squeal from Rear Wheel

Post by domross »

yep, had exactly the same symptoms...did exactly the same clean up...and all appears ok...the only other thing I considered o will have a look at if it comes back is the driveshaft bearings...but keeping fingers crossed all fixed.