Cloudy headlight glass

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gyroman99

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cloudy headlight glass

Post by gyroman99 »

My 1999 2.8 Z3 seems to be developing cataracts. The headlight glass is getting cloudy or mouldy on the inside. I'm sure this must be a common problem but I'm not sure how to deal with it. Can the front glass be removed so that its inside face can be cleaned? It not a big deal, just a bit unsightly. Any thoughts?

Andy
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Cloudy headlight glass

Post by Gazza »

The headlight is bonded together, you can use the 'oven' or 'heatgun' method to split the unit.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
gyroman99

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gyroman99 »

Hm - is that a one way trip to buying a new unit or does it go back together OK?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

What about a used replacement from a breaker?

A quick search on ebay revealed used ones on offer from £10 upwards.
Last edited by lightning on Sat 14 Jun, 2014 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

It's a bit fiddly/messy but do-able.

No need for new adhesive and it just needs to be warmed in order to split the unit.

Replacement is always an option.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

This was happening to mine and was actually on the outside of the lens so might be worth checking. I polished the lenses up with Xerepol plastic polish and they came up new.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Here is a link to an article which covers splitting the headlamp unit with pics.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... indicators
Gazza

ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The outer lens is made from polycarbon... it is very hard compared to acryllic, and is pretty resistant to chipping etc.... polishing it is not as easy as acryllic, and some elbow grease will be required.
If as you say the inside is discoulred or "infected".... you will best replace or split and clean.... they are easy enough to open / split, and requires around 15 minutes in a large oven at around 80 - 90 degrees.... a broad bladed flat screwdriver will be needed. Once thoroughly cleaned, re-heatin to soften the gum will be needed and then re-assemble and replace the clips asap.
Whatever you do, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WIPE THE SILVERED REFLECTORS!!!.... YOU WILL DAMAGE THE SURFACE !! LEAVE THEM ALONE !!!

Other than that it's a breeze.... but an oven large enough to fit the entire unit in is needed, as well as it must be large enough that no part of the unit will touch on the heating element.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

i just use normal car polish, meguires if i remember correctly, works wonders!
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

On my VW passat, toothpaste works well on the plastic on that…..thats a tip from a friend of a friend at Bentley Motors….they reckon the more tartar removing the better, like a smokers tooth paste etc….its a very mild polish if you think about it - not tried on the Z yet as mine are dead clear and look fine.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'll bet it's mostly on the outside. I've used this and they looked brand-new afterwards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight-Re ... B0078IHJ1K
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I'll bet it's mostly on the outside. I've used this and they looked brand-new afterwards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight-Re ... B0078IHJ1K
As the headlight units are I think sealed unless you get condensation in there they shouldn't go cloudy on the inside of the lens. Mine was like a cloudy mottling which was more noticeable with the lights on and I though oh no hope thats not on the inside. Thought I would give the outside of the lenses a polish and it disappeared straight away. It does come back after 12 months so unsure whats actually causing it :?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Looking at the price of new headlight units from BMW, l can see why repair is the best option! (or second hand replacements)
gyroman99

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gyroman99 »

Well - this is embarrassing, in a good way. You are quite right - I took another look and there's no doubt, the fogging is on the OUTSIDE of the glass. Duh! I tried to do a quick clean using the wife's toothpaste and it's conclusive. I'll go get some of that 3M glass polish and, by the reviews on Amazon, I should also get some UV inhibitor polish as a top coat. It's a big relief that I don't have to split the lights after all. Once again, many thanks to everyone for their contributions. My only remaining dilemma is how to make the wife's toothpaste look unused. Do you think she'd notice a mix of valve seat grinding paste, fine grade of course?
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I use Greygate plastic polish. Available on eBay and Amazon that I know of and probably other sources. An excellent product. Also great for cleaning the clear rear window in the soft top.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

I used the 3M kit on my Lolvo (notorious for soft headlamps) and couldn't be happier with the results. The kit with the drill attachment is the one to get [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my doohicky using whatsisapp
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I would suggest to put clear protective film over the headlights while they are still in good condition. I bought new headlights and wrapped in protective film before installing and now about 2 years headlights still look great and I haven't even removed film once. Very satisfied, and I am quite sure that under protective film headlights look totally new with all the flares etc.
Rig sparky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rig sparky »

used the same plastic polish I use on my rear window on mine ( I had one cloudy one ) the other day and it came up like new in seconds
not at home right now but think the polish is Revo plastic window polish came from ebay