CLUTCH REPLACEMENT HELP/INFO !!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CLUTCH REPLACEMENT HELP/INFO !!

Post by Southernboy »

I may be looking at a clutch plate replacement on my 3.0 sooner than later, and would like to know from those of you who have either done the job themselves, or had a "professional" outlet do it for you.
The main point of interest is the parts used to effectively do the job. If anyone has the bill which lists the parts and materials which were billed for, it will give me an idea of parts,oils etc. to source and buy here. If you want, you can PM me a list off your bill... Thanks Barry
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: CLUTCH REPLACEMENT HELP/INFO !!

Post by Keynun »

Hello mate,

I had mine done when I first bought the car. Sadly euro car parts sold me the wrong clutch (the 1998+ version is apparently different?) so my car ate a brand new LUK clutch in 5 minutes. Assuming you do not have this problem, this is how much I paid:

£140~ for a sachs clutch kit
£30 for a new guibo flex disc bush
£260 for a new LUK dual mass flywheel
£150 labour charge by a local garage

I think it would be a wise idea to just replace the whole clutch kit rather than parts of it. You should also look at inspecting/replacing the dual mass flywheel whilst you are there, it makes sense depending on the mileage of the car.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks for the feedback... It seems the DMF is a must do whilst the car is apart. I read an article on replacement of the DMF with a solid unit, and also replacing the self adjusting clutch with a standard clutch. The upshot was longer life and smoother performance without the OEM setup. Has anyone any supporting info or otherwise ?
"Normal is overrated"

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The LUK website quotes a 50% longer life for the self-adjusting clutch, and the DMF should last for ages anyway, unless the clutch has been dumped lots of times by an idiot!

As it is an easy job to get at the Z3 clutch etc, you do not need to fit a new DMF with a new clutch. Mine has done 130k miles on the same clutch and flywheel, and our Golf had covered 193000 miles when the clutch release bearing collapsed. With the cost of labour my wife decided to have the lot changed as a preventative measure - but such items on the Golf Mk.4 are a lot more difficult to get at than a Z3 - even the slave cylinder is buried in the middle of the gearbox, and neds as much labout to replace it as replacing a flywheel . . . progress, without a doubt!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Mike... that is encouraging. I didn't imagine the DMF should be an issue... My previous 2.8 had covered over 220000 without a problem. So I'll be looking for new clutch plate, release bearing... do I need to replace the self adjusting pressureplate part too ?
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Came across this excellent guide.... anyone contemplating the DIY route... have a read...
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/cj/cj.html
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... and for those of you who want to know about the reason / operation of the DMF....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fNjARZc5Wo
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

New Clutch kit ordered from LUK... £.140.00 excluding the DMF, but including a new fork. ballpin and spring. Kit is the plate, release bearing and pressure plate... Mechanic reckons he'll charge me £100 to do the installation, so pretty pleased with the overall cost. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Are you going replace the dual mass flywheel as well?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

From what I have gathered, replacing the DMF might be advisable given the ammount of work required to remove the gearbox etc. However, it seems they are pretty durable, and unless the springs in the system are broken or otherwise damaged, it isn't a "must do". My previous Z3 had over 230,000km on the clock, and the DMF was perfect, so I think I'll skip replacing it. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

I am facing the same dilemma, at 62k miles my clutch pedal is high and the clutch occasionally Judders, guess just unlucky! I never dump the clutch or ride it but the first 34k miles of its life, who knows! I am loath to replace the dmf. Unless there is another reason why the pedal is high? Mike or Barry I need your help !
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My clutch pedal takes quite high, also my BMW mechanic warned me it would need to be replaced fairly soon... So I am assuming that after the judder experience, it is fairly close to being final.
Only other parts I will replace is the prop shaft rubber guibo... might as well do that since the bolts will need replacing anyhow and the gearbox rubber mountings. They are fairly inexpensive items, and may as well be re-newed whilst the opportunity exists. I have a steel braided clutch hose been lying in the garage still in the original packaging for the past 12 months, so that can be fitted too. Propshaft center bearing looks OK, but I'll have another peep when the chance arises and the car is up. Looks like this excercise plus new rear shocks will make July a busy month. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"