TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

New Video Review of Z3 on YouTube

Post by TR4man »

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New Video Review of Z3 on YouTube

Post by Rafolian »

MX5, great wee car and I have owned one, but better built than a Z3? Where did they get this plank from?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I think most of what he said was fair. But I have to agree with Rafolian, MX5 a better car? I think not!! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Enjoyed the video! And agree the Z3 for me is a far more comfortable and fun drive car, compared to the equivalent MX5.
I'd love a white Z too and an auto. Anyone see one for sale? Please PM moi: must have a low mileage and few careful owners tho. Picky... Ci :nerd:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My friend has a 2003 MX5 which l have driven, and while it is competent enough, it's just a bit lacklustre.
Rather like a washing machine. Does the job and does it well, but without any soul.

I think the build quality is similar. The MX5 is certainly well put together, although they do eventually rust.

We owned a 2001 MX5 1.8 iS back in 2002, and neither of us bonded with it, it was a bit like a VW Polo, did the job of "being a sports car" but was uninspiring.

I think the 1989 original MX5's were the best ones.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

A good video and some fair points. I think BMW must have done something very wrong back in 1997, in terms of PR, when they launched the Z3. The 1.9 engine (M44) gets slated and yet its 1.8 predecessor (M42) met with critical acclaim in the E30. It’s ridiculous comparing a 2.8 Z3 with an old 1.6/1.8 litre MX5. I think the problem was that the MX5 had by that time already established itself as a popular retro, British-look-a-like roadster and so the different look of the Z3 was not readily accepted.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The early MX5 is starting to show it s age, with serious rust problmes inside the front chassis rails, effectively writing off several otherwise-nice cars.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yes l meant the early ones were more fun to drive.

Many of them are now getting tired, bit they are over twenty years old, well beyond the lifespan of most cars from the 1980's.

I think the YouTube review is pretty good. He only says that the MX5 was "reportedly" better built, and if anything puts the Z3 over as a more upmarket alternative.
Although the test car is of course a 2.8.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Had an early 1996 1.8 MX5 a few years ago and agree that nice enough to drive but always felt a bit "tinny" and cheap. Decided to get rid of it as had serious rust issues and never really had enough power output.
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I was told by a mechanic to buy the MX5 and not the Z3 so I went looking at 2002 MX5's but all of them were rusted through, glad I stuck with my first choice of the Z3 in the end
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Was it my hearing, or did the commentator begin by calling it a 'BMW Z5?'

Otherwise, quite a sensible piece - makes a change not to see an idiot driver doing doughnuts . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
lmrdave

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lmrdave »

Ive not driven a mk3 MX5, but the best of the rest is certainly the mk1, it's a brilliant car. The build quality is amazing. Where it out shines the Z3 is handling, it's such a forgiving car and really rewarding when pushed to and over the limit.

The 2.8 Z3 handles fine, but not as good as the MX5, but power wise it's all the Z3 which sounds and looks fantastic.

At the end of the day it's people opinion and what they want out of a car, you've voted with your feet and bought a Z3, but do not underestimate the MX5 or the people that drive them! They love the same things you do, but in a slightly different way.

I find the best option is to have both, so I'm covered whatever mood I'm in. :D
1998 Z3 2.8 Arctic Silver
1991 Mazda MX5
1987 Nissan Silvia
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Was it my hearing, or did the commentator begin by calling it a 'BMW Z5?'

He definitely says BMW Z "Frwee"
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I think he said Z cars. Agree that the Mk. 1 MX5/Eunos was the best for purist driving. We had a 2.0 MK 3 but I never liked it, it was quick but I never could get attached to it as I did my 1991 Eunos import which was a cracking little car.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Interesting video, disagree about build quality, the BMW is far superior, early mk2 mx5s very prone to rust and failing suspension. I have had six mx5's, one mk2 and 5 mk1's one with a 3.5 v8 Rover in it. English mk1 suffered greatly from rust especially sills, imports a much better buy. Drive wise the mk1 is a great drive and loads of fun with a really slick gear change and great handling but ran out of grunt and on motorways I was always looking for another gear. I wouldn't change back from my 2.8, gearchange not as good and I can't go round roundabouts as fast but overall prefer the drive and the extra grunt, and its more comfortable for my old bones :-)
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me