ZF gearbox shift pin change.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Flight

blank

ZF gearbox shift pin change.

Post by Flight »

Hi all.
I have just changed the 5 gearbox shift pins on my 3.0i. I was in two minds whether or not to implement this change, thinking it might not be worth while. However I couldn't have been more wrong, the difference it has made gear changing is quite dramatic, the notchiness which I was used to has gone, the gears slide in easily whereas before the had to be persuaded. A worthwhile job. Removing transmission and implementing the mod 4 hours, two more to refit the transmission. Total cost £48.00 for the new pins and bushes, exhaust gaskets and new nuts £20.00 but in my case I also changed the clutch which added a further £174.00 to the bill.
cheers
Flight
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: ZF gearbox shift pin change.

Post by Gazza »

Well done, great job satisfaction I bet ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Any chance of a write up? ;-)
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi Pedro.
If you google "How to change your transmission shift pins" there is a splendid write up with photos. It is a relatively simple job, but requires gearbox removal and a set of accurately made insertion punches. These can be purchased from BMW, but if you have access to a lathe they are a doddle to make and their dimensions and drawings can be found at the start of the afore mentioned write up.
Best wishes
Flight
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi All.
Since changing my G/box shift pins bushes and clutch, I have now replaced the slave cylinder hose, and that troublesome little valve, and after a fairly long test drive, I can honestly say it is one of the most rewarding things one can do to a Z3. It has transformed the car gear changes from very rough to silky smooth. One no longer has to steer, and push the gear lever from place to place, it now just falls into place. My transmission knock has gone, it feels just like any other car. It was a lot of trouble replacing the clutch and it would, in my view, silly not to fit the shift pins and new slave cylinder flex hose.
I made my own bush fitting tools, and would be prepared to loan them to any one interested.
Best wishes
Flight
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

Flight wrote:Hi All.
I made my own bush fitting tools, and would be prepared to loan them to any one interested.
Best wishes
Flight
See, that is what I love about forums like this.

Great offer.