price for front bumper repaint

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

hi all, i know this is a bit like how long is a piece of string but what is a ball park price for a front bumper repaint? mine has a few stonechips and needs a repaint. its metallic, cheers guys
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: price for front bumper repaint

Post by Davejue1 »

I've not had mine done as a stand alone job but I think the price thrown around the forum is about £300. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong. :?:

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I paid £312 including VAT last November.

Remove bumper, prep and paint, refit.

I think it was a good job.

Mark
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I just got mine done.

I took it to the local BMW dealer bodyshop (Williams Stockport) and they repainted the front bumper for £200 + VAT.
They removed it from the car and did a superb job, none of the stone chips are visible behind the new paint.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

lightning wrote:I just got mine done.

I took it to the local BMW dealer bodyshop (Williams Stockport) and they repainted the front bumper for £200 + VAT.
They removed it from the car and did a superb job, none of the stone chips are visible behind the new paint.
So now you've shelled out for the paint are you thinking of getting clear wrap on it to stop the offending stone chips returning. I looked at Badmans at the Newark meet and it looked really good. Having had my zed painted last winter it's something I'm considering but can't imagine it would be a cheap affair. :shrug

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Cheers guys, that's not a bad price at all for a dealer, might have to ring mine. I have a zunsport lower grille in mine and I couldn't believe how much paint has been rubbed off by it.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Clear wrap, probably not.

I bought the car to use, but as usual with me it has become a bit of a project. My Z3 spent it's first two years on the motorway, so l am guessing a lot of the road rash came from back then.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

That is very tempting.

Will ring my local dealer Blue Bell and ask for a quote.

Like I think yours is, mine is used every day and it wont be long before the stone chips return, but at that price it could be that I get it sprayed every 18 months or so.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Remove repair and re-fit £.65.00 ....... but you'd have to be in Johannesburg... :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

TR4man wrote:

That is very tempting.

Will ring my local dealer Blue Bell and ask for a quote.

Like I think yours is, mine is used every day and it wont be long before the stone chips return, but at that price it could be that I get it sprayed every 18 months or so.

If Blue Bell are much dearer, you could conceivably take it to Williams in Stockport, from where you are.
Just say l recommended them, and can they do yours for the same price.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Will do, thanks.

I'd still be interested in DaveJue1 suggestion about some sort of protection that could be applied.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I had a full respray at Sytners in Sheffield and they told me not to bother with plastic protection as it costs more than a bumper respray, which they estimated at around £200 + VAT.

Phone around the dealers. You will be surprised at the difference in price (and how reasonable the cheap ones are), especially if you don't want it done in a hurry :wink: . Sytners (Nottingham) wanted twice what Sytners (Sheffield) did it for.
Pingu
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

I agree with differing dealer prices..many moons ago I would travel upto bridgegate in chesterfield ( approx 65 miles away) instead of 8 miles to my nearest in sutton coldfield as they wanted £458 for an insp 2 as opposed to £260 up north, crazy!! It is looking tempting to ring around the dealers though!
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi Pedro. I can do that for you for a modest sum in 2K clear over base. Just down the road in Alrewas!

Regards BB
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I've been quoted 200.00 (incl vat) by body shops here in Kent, one of them is a very well known place so good work too (that did include a forum discount too). If you local I can let you details.

To remove and refit is really very easy so you could possibly save by doing that yourself.
The guide on here on how to do it was very useful (many thanks to author).
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

My front bumper and bonnet is being done next week £300 if that helps.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Woody1000 wrote:My front bumper and bonnet is being done next week £300 if that helps.
The entire bonnet?
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Woody1000 wrote:My front bumper and bonnet is being done next week £300 if that helps.
That seems good value.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Bonnet, bumper and the two small side panels behind the front wheels.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

That's a good price, I'd make the trip up from Kent for those prices.
Is it a special price for you or would they do it for other customers too?
If so please can you let me know details?
I'll be needing to do sills, bonnet, M mirrors and a new bumper soon (plus some chips an scratches along the sides).
Probably the rear wings too as they chipped in the usual place where it flares out.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

It's an old fella who's got a unit just down from mine (been spraying cars for a million years!!!) I will have a chat with him tomorrow and ask the question.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

That would be great, many thanks.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Before the Z I "BOUGHT" a 328ci off E-bay and had it "BROUGHT" to Spain. Had 3 wheel arches repaired and painted, dent in sill, dent in front of bumper and complete bumper repainted "topaz blue" to a perfect standard by a large modern local body shop, all for €500 (£400).
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Maybe a trip to Spain is in order!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I'm afraid that much of my experience of UK body shops is expensive work done rushed and badly. If you find somebody who does a good, honest job - hang on to them. I'm still looking :(
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Bumper should read bonnet, doh!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ generally the standard of paintshop workmanship is poor. These guys are no longer craftsmen... they work for the insurance houses and are parts / component replacement outlets who do their best to turnaround cars as quick as possible. They aren't interested in repairing and quite probably couldn't if they tried. The problem is driven by car owners who want their vehicles back on the road asap and the paintshops are happy to oblige. You need to "get fussy"... don't be in a hurry, and don't accept "good enough" when it actually isn't. Cheap jobs are exactly that and invariably any complaint is met with the "what do you expect at the price" look...
The best you can do for your buck is to do a thorough examination of the workmanship... look at the finish, examine it from all angles, ask them to move the car outdoors into daylight, really look carefully for the smallest imperfections and ask them to correct them... it can't cost more than they quoted in the first place, and since your money isn't 2nd rate, insist they polish and finish until you are satisfied that it is the result you want.
No matter how much you paid, don't feel obliged to accept anything less than 100%. They may not want you as a customer again, but the best you can do is to go back to them again...they will know that you're a PITA, and they'll make the effort to avoid a repetition of the previous encounter.... and be a PITA again if needed. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Watching this thread made me feel I'd paid over the odds for my front bumper respray at just over £300 but now I don't think so.

It was done because some nerd scraped it in a car park so there was a bit of repair work to do as well as making the stone chips go away. That and the fact that I do think they did a good job.

Mark
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Southernboy wrote:........ generally the standard of paintshop workmanship is poor. These guys are no longer craftsmen... they work for the insurance houses and are parts / component replacement outlets who do their best to turnaround cars as quick as possible. They aren't interested in repairing and quite probably couldn't if they tried. The problem is driven by car owners who want their vehicles back on the road asap and the paintshops are happy to oblige. You need to "get fussy"... don't be in a hurry, and don't accept "good enough" when it actually isn't. Cheap jobs are exactly that and invariably any complaint is met with the "what do you expect at the price" look...
The best you can do for your buck is to do a thorough examination of the workmanship... look at the finish, examine it from all angles, ask them to move the car outdoors into daylight, really look carefully for the smallest imperfections and ask them to correct them... it can't cost more than they quoted in the first place, and since your money isn't 2nd rate, insist they polish and finish until you are satisfied that it is the result you want.
No matter how much you paid, don't feel obliged to accept anything less than 100%. They may not want you as a customer again, but the best you can do is to go back to them again...they will know that you're a PITA, and they'll make the effort to avoid a repetition of the previous encounter.... and be a PITA again if needed. :wink:
Very wise words.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Got the car back from the old fella and his done the little bit of bubbling in the lower wings ok but not really impressed with the bonnet !!! It's ok and better than it was but not perfect so will have it done again later in the year properly !!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... Take it back and ask him to give it more work... perhaps another 2 coats of clear and a good polish... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Bonnet re sprayed it's not perfect and maybe I'm a little over critical

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Looks pretty good.. maybe it just needs to be polished more, in which case take it back and ask them to do a bit more polishing.
"Normal is overrated"

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

From the pics it looks good, I can just see what appears to be 2 stone chips that were missed?
Hard to tell paint blemishes from pics though.

Would he be interested in taking on more work at similar prices to what you paid (I'd want to look at your car in the flesh first though!)?

PS; how did the bumper turn out? That I believe is quite a job as needs preparing well to cover the usually deep stone chips they collect.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Dino, what you see to be stone chips are white polish marks are actually a reflection but I can see slight imperfections

The bumper is ok but again not perfect in my opinion but your welcome to have a look for yourself
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I've just been quoted £750 for the following work by Silver Star in Carleton, Skipton.
I've seen the quality of his work (Andy) and its very good, apparently he doesn't take your money until your satisfied with the job and yes he give's you your keys back if you're not.

Both bumpers filled and sprayed to correct the previous owners navigational errors! (All four corners plus the centre of front bumper)
Bonnet respray and the removal of 2 x dents in bonnet.
Removal of another dent over osf wheel arch on bonnet.
Removal of a deep circular dent in passenger door.
and both door edges where they've been chipped........

I dont thinks thats a bad price compared to the other one i received this morning from another bodyshop I visited:-
Both Bumpers - £400
Dents and door edges - £500
Bonnet - £400
TOTAL £1300!!!

Silver Star actually quoted £200 per bumper too, so I can only conclude that's about the going rate
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Mine came to £320 so not that bad I guess.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Dropped my Zed of at the bodyshop this morning and due to collect it Friday afternoon.

Rectification of stonechips on bonnet and front bumper

Fit a new O/S front wing

Paint from the front back to the B post in Oxford Green Metallic

Power mop and polish the entire car including hard top

Use of a courtesy car

£650