Variable intermittent wipe

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
stevie_a

blank

Variable intermittent wipe

Post by stevie_a »

Ok the summer looks as if it has gone here in Scotland just as i get my car back after quite a few hundred pounds spent on it.

So i was taking it to the shops today and as it was raining i had the wipers on, i was thinking, wish i had Variable intermittent on this.

My car was a German import back in the day, a squaddie brought it back to the uk according to info i have,
so it has things that i think uk cars don't have and does not have things that uk car have ( or so i have been told.)

One of the things i don't have is Variable intermittent wipe.

The car is a 2000 "W" 1.9 , i know some 1.9's in the uk have this on there cars, so the question is what do i need to get it and how do i fit it?

I have been told all i do is swap a relay and that is it,(I don't know if this is true )

Questions on a post card please
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Variable intermittent wipe

Post by pingu »

The only intermediate wipe on the Z3 that I know about is the wipers go to intermittent when the car is stopped.
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I have one of the modules that only cost about £20 from ebay. I must get around to fitting it sometime!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My 1986 MG Metro had variable intermittent wipe, via a knob on the wiper stalk.

That car was not exactly the latest technology. The engine and suspension was first used in the 1959 Mini. But it seems it was ahead of the game in that respect.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Did you know - the first car with intermittent wipers was the FIAT 128 . . . . it used a pneumatic time delay to operate the switch contacts.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Back in the 1970's my 1973 Renault 17TS had variable intermittent wipe ( along with full width electric fabric sunroof,electric windows, Bosch injection, 5 speed box, vented front and solid rear disc's and 108 bop from a 1565cc all alloy pushrod motor!).
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

bop should read BHP, bloody I-pad!!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

You could buy a kit in the 1980's to add the feature to "any car" l think the unit was made by a company called Linwood.

I fitted one to my Triumph Herald!
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

lightning wrote:My 1986 MG Metro had variable intermittent wipe, via a knob on the wiper stalk.

That car was not exactly the latest technology. The engine and suspension was first used in the 1959 Mini. But it seems it was ahead of the game in that respect.
The first mini had solid rubber block suspension the fluid type of suspension came along in about 1965 ish. This was called hydrolastic suspension but by the time it was on the Metro it had been re-invented as hydro gas suspension. Which lives on today on early MG F models. ( 2 metro sub frames under a nice looking body)
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

a vw 99 wiper relay can be persuaded to work for just pence :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Back in the 1970's my 1973 Renault 17TS had variable intermittent wipe ( along with full width electric fabric sunroof,electric windows, Bosch injection, 5 speed box, vented front and solid rear disc's and 108 bop from a 1565cc all alloy pushrod motor!)."

That 17TS motor was brilliant for it's time... I used it in a fiberglass beach buggy... the setup with the gearbox up front was a doddle to fit into the buggy at the back... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

The 17TL and TS coupes (and the 15's) Barry had the gearbox behind the motor. It was the 5 door hatchback 16, plus the 4,6 and early 5's that had the gearbox at the front of the engine.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... You are probably right... I was about 18 yrs old at the time... I know it was essentially a 1600cc motor with the gearbox in front of the motor.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions