Flickering internal light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Flickering internal light

Post by TR4man »

Over the last couple of days my car's internal light (the one at the top of the windscreen) has started to flicker on and off whilst I have been driving.

I thought that one of the door-open activation sensors must be sticking, but upon examination, I can't see any. I was expecting to see some form of plunger type as fitted to my other older cars. Can anyone advise where they are on a Z3?

Or even could there be another cause?
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Flickering internal light

Post by johnjo »

They are in the door catch on the side pillar
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Most likely the switch on the light itself particularly if it flickers when switched off.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Cal1000

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cal1000 »

I've had this problem for a while, just swapped the lights over in both my Zeds and the problem has gone (with the added bonus that my car now locks on the remote again) :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The most likely cause is wear to the button on the door catch on the B-pillar. The plastic gets an indentation worn into it and the door no longer presses it far enough back to extinguish the light. The simplest solution is to glue a piece of plastic over the worn part (it is fairly well out of sight). The best indication for this is that the light will come on whilst driving even though it is set to only come on when the doors are open (as opposed to always-off or always-on on the three position switch). It may well also cause the alarm to go off intermittently.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc