2.8 engine into a 2 litre body??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

2.8 engine into a 2 litre body??

Post by rambo »

Hi Guys
I have suddenly decided that I would like to upgrade to a 2.8/3.00 litre engine into my mint 1999 2.0 Z3.
So the question is.
Can I fit a larger unit into the car?
Will the gearbox match or do I need to source a compatible gearbox.?
Is the back axle of the right ratio?
Does the exhaust fit or does that need replacing?
What else would need to be changed ie electrics?
I realise it would be easier to buy a 2.8/3.0 car but my present vehicle is absolutely mint,in my favourite colour of Sienna Red and has matching hardtop as well
Over to you experts for any help, please
Regards
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 2.8 engine into a 2 litre body??

Post by Southernboy »

Some issues to consider... The diff, the engine management computer, wiring harnesses and ancilliaries... Best would be to buy a complete 2.8 or 3.0 which has been written off - so to speak - and use it as a donor... you can always sell off whatever body and trim is still useable to re-coup some of the outlay..
My recommendation would be to go for the 3.0 - much more power and better economy than the 2.8.. Try some of the breakers for a complete car...
I can give you my 3.0 VIN number so you can compare OEM part numbers of items like the diff and rear axle parts etc etc.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I'm no mechanic so not the best person to answer but I'm pretty certain that the engine will bolt straight in with the exception of engine mountings which are easily changed if required. Gearbox I imagine would need to be from a 2.8 but you should be able to find a complete engine and box easily enough. I did a ford change over once and other than 1 engine mounting and the exhaust everything else went straight in. I totally get where your coming from with wanting to change the engine rather than your car. I to am very attached to my Zed and would go down the same route if I ever wished to upgrade on power. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Thanks for the swift replies.
Certainly food for thought.
I have the car serviced by an excellent BMW technician who has his own business and is in the process of building a Z3 race car and knows a fair amount about the BMW range so I'll ask him for his advice as well.
Thanks for your input and I'll keep you up to speed.
Regards
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I'm pretty sure the E36 and E36/7 used a Getrag gearbox up to 2.5 litres and the bigger ZF after that. Reasonable to suspect the clutch is also different.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Orinoco on this forum is taking parts from his 1999 2.8 following accident damage. I know he was looking to sell the shell with engine, gearbox etc. for scrap as he does not have facilities to remove the engine it. If you are prepared to take the shell away on a trailer there may be a donor car just waiting for you.
madleemark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by madleemark »

Theres a lot to do, but a doner car seems to be the way to go, from past swops ive done, theres allways something extra you need to finish the job, and nice to have some extra spares, i did think about putting a bigger engine in mine, tho i do wonder how it will effect insurance, theres a 3litre just come on ebay, car was written off,low miles and can hear running, tempting! would be a giggle to have a 1.9badged z3 with a 3litre up front
swappy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by swappy »

Hi theres a 3ltr donor car on ebay, nothing to stop you now :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-3-LITR ... 1c4d7df02e

:oops: didn't read the last post properly :head:
Sakari Matt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Sakari Matt »

rambo wrote: I have the car serviced by an excellent BMW technician who has his own business and is in the process of building a Z3 race car and knows a fair amount about the BMW range so I'll ask him for his advice as well.
Regards
Whose building a Z3 race car? I'm doing the same thing myself so would be interested in seeing what series/championship they are going to be running in. I'm in Lincoln so not too far from Grimsby
1998 2.8 BMW Z3 race car, Sakari Racing running in the Track Attack Race Club's Deustche Series
1996 2.8 BMW 328iMsport coupe
1987 2.8 BMW 528i
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Sakari Matt, I would be interested in having a look at your project sometime. I work in Lincoln and live locally, so if you would like to PM me I would like to have a look. Cheers Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Have you thought - or enquired - about the potential problem of insurance? It will probably be listed as a 'modified/tuned' car, and cost more than a alrger-engined original car.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Message to Sakari Matt
Gone off the idea now but the Z3 racer is being developed by Simon Thorpe Car Services in Grimsby.
01472 355520
Nice guy and if you any problems with your Z 3 he's your man!
Regards