DISA repair kits for M52TU

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

DISA repair kits for M52TU

Post by bowei001 »

There seems to be a good supply of DISA repair kits for the M54 from places like germanautosolutions & i6automotive, and at reasonable prices. I can only find one place selling kits for the M52TU and that is vanos-bmwcom in Moscow (via eBay). The price is a bit high and there is the strong possibility of import duty & Post Office charges. Does anyone have experience of these kits from this company?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: DISA repair kits for M52TU

Post by Southernboy »

I just posted a link to VAICO who are the manufacturers of the BMW DISA units. I have an idea that Meyle stock them, so perhaps you can contact Meyle UK and ask them.. :wink:

http://www.vierol.de/en/products/vaico
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Thanks for the link Barry. Following it up it seems possible to get a Vaico one for under £100 (although the price range goes from £98 to nearly £250 depending upon the distributor - for exactly the same item!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....Pleasure buddy... hopefully your's will be under £100... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Would Vaico also be the manufacturer of the M44 DISA unit (11611438404)?

http://autoparts.de/en/product/list/274 ... -1836.html

This part is £234 from BMW. If Vaico are the OEM then the identical unit is £130 from one of the distributors in the UK.

bowie001 which was the distributor you found? I only found 1 priced as above and I'd like to see if I can get it cheaper still!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They should be... I had a brief look on the web link I posted, and they were claiming something like 15,000 BMW parts... so it may be that they do make them.
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I kinda thought Bosch was the OEM. But maybe it was dual supplier.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Bosch do supply many BMW parts, this isn't one of them.
The link you posted posted above describes the exact part for the M44 made by VAICO..... Now you need to find a supplier outside BMW. I notice Eurocarparts are one supplier, but as I said earlier, here in SA my Meyle supplier carries VAICO and VEMO products.... both ranges carry a 'Q' mark from BMW as being OE quality. Your search now is a supplier of VAICO products which isn't a BMW main dealer.... I note Bowei001 seems to have found someone as he has used the link to get to a few options for retailers. Perhaps he can provide you some assistance to source a retailer. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Southernboy wrote:Bosch do supply many BMW parts, this isn't one of them.
The link you posted posted above describes the exact part for the M44 made by VAICO..... Now you need to find a supplier outside BMW. I notice Eurocarparts are one supplier, but as I said earlier, here in SA my Meyle supplier carries VAICO and VEMO products.... both ranges carry a 'Q' mark from BMW as being OE quality. Your search now is a supplier of VAICO products which isn't a BMW main dealer.... I note Bowei001 seems to have found someone as he has used the link to get to a few options for retailers. Perhaps he can provide you some assistance to source a retailer. :wink:
Sounds good to me! I did find one supplier at £130 inc postage. I just want to see if Bowie001 has found it any cheaper :)
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

£ 130 is pretty good (incl postage ! ).... if BMW are asking £234 for the same part, I'd say that's a very good price.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... FYI - They also make the VEMO range of products, which includes an array of sensors (Cam position, etc etc)
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I can't convince myself the Vaico part is the genuine BMW part.

This Ebay auction shows a genuine (used) part as being Bosch in origin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331541557179

And this one, although it doesn't reference Bosch has the same Bosch part code root (0 928) implying it is also Bosch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321727692575

If you look on Pelican Parts they say whether a part is OES (original equipment supplier) ie supplier when the car was built. OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ie supplier of replacement genuine parts. Or aftermarket.

They stock the Vaico part and it is not labelled OEM or OES. So by implication it is aftermarket. And in their splurge on Vaico they say "Vaico is an aftermarket supplier of BMW parts". Not sure if this link to the part is a one time URL or will work for others:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/kse ... x=0&I1.y=0

So it's my belief the Vaico part is an aftermarket part. Vaico are widely regarded as producing OEM quality parts but we have no way of knowing without a testimony if any particular part has been built to OEM quality or if this is just a generalisation.

So no way am I saying this is not a quality part (I don't know). And I'm certainly grateful to southernboy for pointing them out. I'm just saying comparing the £130 for this part with the £234 for the genuine BMW part is not really a fair comparison.

It still looks a reasonable bet when compared with the expensive genuine part or a second-hand part that could be near the end of it's life and would cost £70-£100 anyway.

It would just be nice to find someone who has experience of the Vaico part.
ImageImage
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

The supplier I found for an M52TU DISA valve (seems to be called a Control Valve, Air Intake by VAICO) was on line - http://www.sparepartstore24.co.uk (tel 020 3608 0191). They were quoting £98.98. I haven't bought one yet as I'm going to have a close look at mine and may go down an aluminium repair kit route, depending on the state of mine and the cost. It might be worth a look to see if they do them for other models. I got the VAICO part number from the link that Southernboy gave me.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I took my DISA unit out after about 125,000 miles, and found no problems. The pivot, which falls into the engine on an M54, was securely in position, and if it did come loose would have been retained by the recess which surrounds it. Presumably the M54 manifold lacks this recess.

Note - the sand-like particles are reflections of the flash from small particles of oil - probably from the crankcase breather.

I have not seen any tales on the internet about M52TU DISAs coming loose, so it does not appear that a problem exists with these engines, but there are plenty of horror stroies around about M54 engines.

It is an easy job to remove the unit for checking, and the sealing 'O' ring was in good condition, BMW, in France at least, charge about 1 Euro a time for the ring, but the dealer did not stock them, and the minimum quantity was 30 items . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!