ac type 3 18 wheels

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
PJH

Z3 roadster 3.0i

ac type 3 18 wheels

Post by PJH »

got a bargain on flea bay for a set of 4 ac type 3 18inch wheel rims - v good condition except for one which is cracked .. not sure if genuine but none too bothered to be honest

anyhow need some advice if possible - plan is to fit these rims and a tyre set to replace my 17in current rims (will fit them with winters) on my 3.0

The AC's were apparently taken off a 5 series and are 18 X 8.5 all round .. et stamp on the back of the rims seems to say 0/7 - which is kinda foxing me as I understand that the (non m) z3 had an et of 35-43 ish

As I say one of the rims is split - there two piece so either a weld or a restore is possible - would also like to get a light refurb on all to bring them pristine .. don't plan anything too radical tyre wise - haven't fully decided but thinking of avon rainsport 3's but in sizes to match UK's speed hump nastiness

so my question is do I sell one of the rears and go for what seems the optimum - a naturally staggered set i.e 18 X 8.5 front and either 18X 9 or 18 X 9.5 at the back

or do I repair and use concentric spacers to best fit - i.e a 20mm concentric kit to space out each of the rears by 10mm and leave the front set as is (hope that they will be flush nut if a small spacer is required then ok) -

the spacer option seems the more logical choice given my budget but I welcome any advice on set up and particularly anyone who has spaced out 5 series type 3's to as while I can measure its hard to visualise the final flushness without all being fitted so any pics of this wheel set ront and back would be a really great help in my decision .. hope this makes sense and any advise welcome

regards to all and bring on the sunshine - my z inspired tan caught in early April is fading

PJ
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: ac type 3 18 wheels

Post by Jonttt »

5 series wheels won't fit and depending which 5 series they where off the bore may wrong as well.

Also I would not fit a cracked wheel that's been welded

You really should research the offsets and bores before buying wheels and not just assume they will fit, not so much of a bargain when they don't :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Agree with Johntt.
5 series wheels have a smaller offset so will stick out more than zed or 3 series wheels so spacers will make it worse.

here's a link to BMW wheels.
http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
PJH

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by PJH »

brought 4, 3 of which are in great condition - Rondal make for £59 quid so a no brainer, yep et means the fronts unlikely to work unless I use 215 35 tyres, rears will be fine I believe, will flog the fronts or possibly get the faces of the two piece set on a new wheel rears to make them 18 X 7 1/2 J - but need to load them on and then make a decision

thanks for the wisdom as ever

regards

PJ
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Not sure the rears will fit unless you have a Z3m. 5 series are usually the wrong offset for a none ///M z3 all round. General rule of thumb is ....

None ///M Z3 = 3 series offsets all round
///M Z3 = 3 series offset front, 5 series offset rear.

Spacers can then fine tune.

Ps ac schnitzer made the type II race in specific Z3m fitment so no need for spacers but they are very rare :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
PJH

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by PJH »

Thanks again .. tend to avoid thumb rules wherever possible myself.. as I say I'll try them on with a variety of tyre combinations and reach a view taking into account tyre possibilities, likely handling impact and looks .. in no rush as have a tidy set of staggered BBS 723/724's on currently.

regards

PJ
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Mmmmmm I find having a basic idea rule of thumb saves wasted money in the long run but good luck getting them to fit without a slam dunk camber & stretch look ( unless that floats your boat)