Cruise control retrofit

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Erko »

hi guys,

I am planning to retrofit cruise control to my 1999 Z3. I have done a lot of research but some things are unclear. I hope you can help me. RealOEM page shows the following parts:
01 CONTROL UNIT F CRUISE CONTROL 65711387625
03 CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR 65718369027

My question is, that can I use actuator with code 65718360043 instead? And E39 steering wheel with cruise control buttons? How can I be sure if I have or have not the wiring for cruise control on my Z3?

All the best!
Erko
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Cruise control retrofit

Post by Brian H »

Erko wrote:hi guys,

I am planning to retrofit cruise control to my 1999 Z3. I have done a lot of research but some things are unclear. I hope you can help me. RealOEM page shows the following parts:
01 CONTROL UNIT F CRUISE CONTROL 65711387625
03 CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR 65718369027

My question is, that can I use actuator with code 65718360043 instead? And E39 steering wheel with cruise control buttons? How can I be sure if I have or have not the wiring for cruise control on my Z3?

All the best!
Erko
Hi Erko,

Have you got Fly by wire throttle? Have you read this http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 57#p326457 if you have?
Erko wrote: can I use actuator with code 65718360043 instead
I would assume not, there are several versions of the actuators that are wired specifically for the car in mind. I think this is for car with a mechanical throttle cable.
Erko wrote: And E39 steering wheel with cruise control buttons?

Unless you adapt the E39 steering wheel and slip-ring you will not be able to use it, AFAIAA there are only 4 conductors in in a Z3 slip-ring.
Erko wrote:How can I be sure if I have or have not the wiring for cruise control on my Z3?

Take apart your car and check :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Brian H wrote:
Erko wrote:How can I be sure if I have or have not the wiring for cruise control on my Z3?

Take apart your car and check :)
Just open the hood and check for connector for cruise control actuator near the passenger side strut.
Here is the pic of male cruise control actuator connector, you need to check for female connector for it.
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Thanks for the quick answers.
It has mechanical throttle. So I think I should buy the parts with the exact codes that I wrote. Unfortunately it is hard to find both things (+ clutch switch) from eBay.
E39 steering wheel with slip-ring is easy to fit with z3 cruise control system? Or is it much easier to use Z3 switch that is mounted to the wheel column? With that E39 wheel my idea was to use radio control buttons as well.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Erko wrote:Thanks for the quick answers.
It has mechanical throttle. So I think I should buy the parts with the exact codes that I wrote. Unfortunately it is hard to find both things (+ clutch switch) from eBay.
^^^Agree
Erko wrote:E39 steering wheel with slip-ring is easy to fit with z3 cruise control system? Or is it much easier to use Z3 switch that is mounted to the wheel column?
You would need to see how many wires/connectors the E39 slip ring offers for the cruise control option and then compare them to the standard interface (I have a feeling this will be a bus based system), if there are enough wires/connection I see no reason when you cannot run the two in parallel.
Erko wrote:With that E39 wheel my idea was to use radio control buttons as well.
I have not seen this done, the standard radio does not have a can-bus style interface that I am aware of (could be wrong) so the buttons would need to have separate hardwired function for volume, search etc. etc.
Last edited by Brian H on Mon 08 Jun, 2015 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

My BMW business radio should have those connectors: http://imageshack.com/handle_redirect.p ... ine8un.jpg
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

A little digging around and I have found this: -

http://www.mp3car.com/input-devices/135 ... rofit.html

Shows what is required to change slip rings etc.
Erko wrote:My BMW business radio should have those connectors: http://imageshack.com/handle_redirect.p ... ine8un.jpg
OK, the radio is shown as iBus compatible (2 wire), I am guessing that you need a further iBus controller to interface between the steering wheel and radio though?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It can be done... The e39 slip ring has 7 wires to use through the slip ring. The biggest issue is not the radio connection which are largely DIN. There are "interfaces" which can be used to circumvent the issue of single iBus signals from the MFL to the radio.
The more complex issue is cruise control which uses a single wire from the steering pad buttons to the CC Module. The e39 slip ring is useful if you have a Z3 which still uses the mechanical throttle system (fly by wire cars are another matter)
The e39 MFL which has the control functions on a separate module fitted under the column is what you want. Later type MFL steering wheels did away with the CC module and incorporated the module functions directly to the button pads. This uses iBus signalling. If you want, you can email me directly, and I will attach all the info I have gathered on this subject, including the "how to".... sadly, the people who have done the nod have done it around 10 years ago on their early e36's and their write ups are less than easy to follow, with many arguments about this and that...
One of the biggest issues is the single / dual stage airbag connections... early e39's had single stage airbags like some of the early Z3's. Later e39's have a dual stage A/bag system like the later Z3's .
If you are a really handy person, I could suggest you "open" up the slip ring, and remove the "ribbon cable" which on the e39 has 7 connections, and fit a new ribbon cable with the number of connections you need. Flat ribbon cables are available with any number of wires, the issue is fitting the cable into the slip ring. This might be possible by using two 7 "pollig" ribbons stuck together so you have 14 connections etc etc...
Look at it this way, you have 2 wires for each stage of the A/bag, you have a wire for the horn, you will need at least 4 or 5 wires for the cruise control functions and a couple for the radio functions. So, all in all the number of connections running through the slip ring will be more than 10.
Now you understand the concept of using 1 wire to carry signals on an iBus system vs hard wiring...
I am currently investigating the possibility of this by using modules to convert the iBus signalling from the MFL to interface with the OEM systems. This would be the most practical solution as it will mean that the signals sent from the button pads can be translated via a module which can be fitted anywhere under the dash vs trying to hard wire through the slip ring. Believe me, the electronics is do-able, but to find someone who will actually sit down and do it is difficult.
The signals sent from the button pads are a sequential code. Each button has a specific code, all buttons send signals to all functions, but each function only recognises a specific code and acts on it. ie. The radio / Tel and C/Control all receive all signals from all buttons, but only recognise the signal specific to it's function...that's how iBus works on 1 wire vs 20...
The decoding of these signals is possible, but will require someone who has the equipment to do it. As I understand it, the codes are 5 part sequential codes... whatever that means.... On my Z3 which has the "fly by wire" throttle, the C/Control is driven by the DME. I have a C/Control fitted as a stalk switch... this feeds into an "interface" which encodes the hard wire electrical pulses from the stalk switch and feeds them to the DME. The DME then takes over the function of what on earlier cars was carried out by the F control module fitted behind the glove box. (my car doesn't have that F module any longer).
If your car still has that F module, and the actuator connected to the throttle by a Bowden cable, you will have an easier time of it. You can use e39 components and achieve full MFL function using the 7 pollig e39 slip ring.
Anyhow... my email addy is:- searchinc@worldonline.co.za if you want to pursue the retrofit... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Barry, have you searched BMW Ibus on Google, it comes up with lists of adapters and software to program buttons etc. I only had a quick search but it seems as if the kit is out there.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Brian....I will have a look... any specific link or did you just use that as your search heading?

Had a google since ...... Thanks for the heads-up Brian. I'll have a read through the articles this evening... I liked the "Comprehensive list of codes" post I saw... maybe that will help. Problem is I'm "IT dumb" and it confuses me no end... takes at least a dozen re-reads before I start to get an inkling of how things work.. :rtm:
"Normal is overrated"

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

I hae done some picture of my steering wheel and throttle cable. I also searched for the connector for cruise control actuator, but I didn`t find it. Does it mean that my retrofit is going to be very hard?
The pictures can be seen here:
https://www.upload.ee/image/4771181/photo.JPG
https://www.upload.ee/image/4771182/photo_1.JPG
https://www.upload.ee/image/4771183/photo_2.JPG
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

These cars have a standard wiring loom. The connector will definitely be there.
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

BladeRunner919 wrote:These cars have a standard wiring loom. The connector will definitely be there.
Does someone has a picture of that on a car? Does it matter is it left or right hand drive or what engine it has? I have left hand drive and engine is M52TUB28.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Do you have the electronic throttle or the cable operated throttle?
If you have the cable operated, have a look in the Z3 Knowledge Base. There is a write-up detailing the parts etc. If you have an electronic throttle, you only need the column switch and the interface module between the switch and the connector which is under the steering.
The cable system requires the switch, a clutch switch, an actuator, and an F control module. The F module fits into a slot behind the glove box on RHD cars. The connection for the stalk switch is under the steering wheel somewhere...normally stuck out the way...you have to look fo it. The actuator fits to the left side wheel arch with a bracket (if you don't have one there, you will need to get one too) The actuator has a cable which connects into a 2nd slot on the throttle. The clutch switch clips into position by the clutch pedal, and there is a connector for that too in that area.
"Normal is overrated"

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Southernboy wrote:Do you have the electronic throttle or the cable operated throttle?
If you have the cable operated, have a look in the Z3 Knowledge Base. There is a write-up detailing the parts etc. If you have an electronic throttle, you only need the column switch and the interface module between the switch and the connector which is under the steering.
The cable system requires the switch, a clutch switch, an actuator, and an F control module. The F module fits into a slot behind the glove box on RHD cars. The connection for the stalk switch is under the steering wheel somewhere...normally stuck out the way...you have to look fo it. The actuator fits to the left side wheel arch with a bracket (if you don't have one there, you will need to get one too) The actuator has a cable which connects into a 2nd slot on the throttle. The clutch switch clips into position by the clutch pedal, and there is a connector for that too in that area.
Thank you for your very detailed answers!
I have a cable throttle. Here is a picure of the cable going down from the left of oil dipstick. http://www.upload.ee/image/4771380/photo_2.JPG. I don`t see a place where I could attached another cable...
Near the left wheel arch I found only this, but it is for diagnostic, isn`t it? http://www.upload.ee/image/4771387/photo_1.JPG
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The cable from the actuator fits to a 2nd "wheel" on the throttle alongside the other cable. same type of fitting as the accelerator cable. The mounting for the actuator is a 3 bolt affair which fits between the suspension turret and the fuse box. It's a special mounting bracket.
If you log onto http://www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN number in the block which says "Serial Number" then click "enter" then "Browse parts"...then scroll down to "Distance Systems / Cruise Control"... click on that and you will see the list of all the parts needed including the bracket.
There is a list with the part numbers so you can then make sure you get the right stuff. They talk about a "button"... this is the button on the end of the stalk switch with all the icons etc on it to indicate which movement does what... If you're buying off eBay, it'll probably come with the button fitted already..

Click on the link below...

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=8000
"Normal is overrated"

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Hi guys!
Yes, I have looked from realoem the parts I need. But before buying them, I want to be sure I have the wiring. And also if I want to use e39 wheel, I want to know if there is any need to buy different parts than written in realoem.
But about the wiring. I found one connection next to the fuse box, but is it the one I need? I think it isn't... http://www.upload.ee/image/4771742/image.jpg

Here is also a picture of the area where it should be, but I can't find it. http://www.upload.ee/image/4771758/image.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Hi Erko,
Looking at your picture of your (single) throttle cable, you have a "semi-fly by wire" set up (the same as mine). This is fitted to the TU engines, which you say you have. All you need to fit cruise control operated from a stalk on the steering column are 2 items: 1. The switch/stalk, part No 6131 8 360 926, buy this second-hand off an e36 or similar as they are very expensive from the dealer (and you have to buy the end knob in your particular language). and 2. the interface part No 6571 8 380 054 - only fitted to Z3s so it will be dealer only. (check these part numbers in case I've made a mistake in a digit). I know that this works because I have a 1999 car with the TU engine and I fitted cruise control to it about 4 years ago. I can't help with anything to do with the steering wheel and controls as I never went down that route. Fitting the standard cruise control is a simple job and you will have all the wiring (1 wire with a small, white plug) bound up in the loom behind the steering column shroud.
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

bowei001 wrote:Hi Erko,
Looking at your picture of your (single) throttle cable, you have a "semi-fly by wire" set up (the same as mine). This is fitted to the TU engines, which you say you have. All you need to fit cruise control operated from a stalk on the steering column are 2 items: 1. The switch/stalk, part No 6131 8 360 926, buy this second-hand off an e36 or similar as they are very expensive from the dealer (and you have to buy the end knob in your particular language). and 2. the interface part No 6571 8 380 054 - only fitted to Z3s so it will be dealer only. (check these part numbers in case I've made a mistake in a digit). I know that this works because I have a 1999 car with the TU engine and I fitted cruise control to it about 4 years ago. I can't help with anything to do with the steering wheel and controls as I never went down that route. Fitting the standard cruise control is a simple job and you will have all the wiring (1 wire with a small, white plug) bound up in the loom behind the steering column shroud.
Well, that looks promising. Is this the part I need? http://www.ecstuning.com/Search2/657183 ... 5718380054
Using e39 wheel is not my main target. So I think if it is as easy as you describe, I will the e36 switch.
My engine is TUB, not TU, does it change anything?
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

That looks like the part. If you look up this post: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=8000 there are some pictures of the switch and interface along with some photos I took when I did our retro-fit. The TU just stands for "technical upgrade", The pre-upgrade is the M52B28 so the upgrade is M52TUB28. I have no idea what the B stand for but it isn't important in this situation. I hope that this helps.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

B28 is the motor... :wink:
Also, you will find the interface on eBay. Not as common as the older kit, but they do come up. Try looking around in Europe eBay...
"Normal is overrated"

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Somewhere next to the steering column I found only this useless connector: http://www.upload.ee/image/4776244/image.jpg . It is taped to the OBD connector.

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

I think that is for the alarm module interior movement I think.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

In that case, I non`t know what to do. It seems that I have no wires or connections that you have suggested to look at. Could that be possible, that I don`t have the wiring?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Erko wrote:In that case, I non`t know what to do. It seems that I have no wires or connections that you have suggested to look at. Could that be possible, that I don`t have the wiring?
I have a car in bits at the moment, I'll take a pic of where the connector comes out of the loom, hopefully this will help. I'm sure the connector will be there.
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Brian H wrote:
Erko wrote:In that case, I non`t know what to do. It seems that I have no wires or connections that you have suggested to look at. Could that be possible, that I don`t have the wiring?
I have a car in bits at the moment, I'll take a pic of where the connector comes out of the loom, hopefully this will help. I'm sure the connector will be there.
That would be very great, thanks a lot!
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Brian H wrote:
Have you got you car back? :)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Sorry, Forgot.

The loom under the steering wheel splits in to a Y, the connector you are looking for is taped up just after this split.

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Sorry, Forgot.

The loom under the steering wheel splits in to a Y, the connector you are looking for is taped up just after this split.

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Thanks! I`ll try to find it on monday!
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

I think I found it! Is this the one? http://www.upload.ee/image/4798081/image.jpg
If it is then what kind of a module do I need now? What is the code of it?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Erko wrote:I think I found it! Is this the one? http://www.upload.ee/image/4798081/image.jpg
Yes that it the one. did you use realoem to check the part number for the module?
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Brian H wrote:
Erko wrote:I think I found it! Is this the one? http://www.upload.ee/image/4798081/image.jpg
Yes that it the one. did you use realoem to check the part number for the module?
Yes, I did. But it shows me a lot of parts that I need, but bowei001 wrote that I only need two parts: 1. The switch/stalk, part No 6131 8 360 and 2. the interface part No 6571 8 380 054. My 7 last digits of VIN are LE64564
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The question to resolve the issue is:- does your car have the electronic throttle. This throttle does not have a cable from the pedal to the throttle. It is controlled by a small electric motor attached to the throttle valve, which is activated by a "potentiometer" which is attached to the accelerator pedal. If your car has a cable from the pedal to the throttle, then you will need several more parts. From the VIN Number you have supplied, your car is a '99 M52 motor. As far as I know, this motor was still a cable driven throttle.
An easy way to check is to look under the hood and see if there is a cable attached to the throttle body. If there is, then you will need:-
Stalk switch
F Control box
Cruise control Actuator with Bowden cable
Actuator mounting bracket
Clutch switch.

All these parts are listed on realoem with the corresponding part numbers.

If you do not have a cable from the pedal to the throttle, then your car will have an electronic throttle. In that event you will only need the stalk switch and the interface.
"Normal is overrated"

bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Hi Erko,
Here are a couple of pictures of our M52TU. There is only a single cable going down to the the throttle. If your set-up is like this then you only need the 2 parts I said before. If you have 2 cables, more or less side-by-side then you have an M52 and you need all the bits in RealOEM's list. The photo you supplied earlier looks just like mine and fitting cruise control is a really easy job.

I hope that this helps.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The car is an M52 - Not TU. If you check on realoem with the VIN number supplied it indicates an M52.

Also, there is only one cable - not two going to the throttle. That is the cable from the accelerator pedal. The 2nd cable which can be fitted is the cruise control cable from the actuator.
"Normal is overrated"

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

mine looks just the same like bowei001 showed. How can it be that bowei001 doesn`t need the second cable for cruise control but I do? And how can I make sure if I have M52 or M52TU?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I did a check using your VIN number you supplied. It tells me your car was built 11/1999 and has an M52 engine. Not M52TU. It may be that your car was fitted with the electronic throttle. IF so, then all you need is the stalk switch and the interface.
If you remove the cover under the steering wheel, and check if there is a black round (like a small can) item fitted with a lever connecting it to the accelerator pedal, then you have the electronic throttle. That item is the potentiometer which has some sensors in it and relays the pedal position to the electronic throttle.
Now, if you want to find out what motor you have, and what the set up is, I suggest 1st you remove that panel and look. That will tell you exactly what you need for your cruise control. There is no great mystery... just do some basic checking. I already told you to check if there is a cable connected to the throttle - if there is then you do not have an electronic throttle
ONLY the electronic throttle cars have the stalk switch and interface -ALL other cars have the extra parts....

Here is a link to eBay with a picture of what a potentiometer looks like...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-SER ... 2801cc7399

...and here are 2 pics - one is the electronic throttle and the second is the non-electronic throttle...

"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Erko posted a pic of his throttle cable (below),so I think we can assume he need the actuator as well.

bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

I don't think that RealOEM distinguishes between M52 & M52TU or even recognises that there was a TU. Our car was built 7/99 and is a TU although when I put the chassis number into RealOEM it comes up as M52. If Erko's car was built 11/99 it should be a TU.
Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Unfortunatelly there is a cable attached to the pedal. But under the hood, I see no place to attach another cable. Here is pic http://www.upload.ee/image/4799810/image.jpg
Ps! As I have a cable throttle, does it automatically mean that my engine is not TU?

bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

You have a PM
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

bowei001 wrote:You have a PM
Would it not be prudent to share your insight for future use and searches, rather than by PM?
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

I have already shared my insights in the previous posts above. The PM was my advice as to what I would do if I were in Erko's place. nothing more.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have you removed the large black hose connections from the MAF all the way to the throttle to have a proper look? What you must look for is a place to connect the Actuator cable which is right alongside the existing pedal cable. It isn't as obvious as you might imagine... so the more stuff you can get out the way the better. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Erko

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erko »

Hi again!
I decided to order only two parts at first: the switch/stalk, part No 6131 8 360 and the interface part No 6571 8 380 054. It took me 3 minutes to install them and guess what, it worked! Thanks everyone who helped me! All comments were very useful.