a thread saying it can burn out the rheostat in the lighting
switch.If so how big a job is it to test/fix & are they all
the same for GB. Mines an 02 2.2

Cheers Bob
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: No Instrument Lights or Warning Buzzer

Post by Brian H »

As you stated Bob, the rheostat will have burnt out, two solutions really, replace with new or bridge out a couple of connections inside the switch. The later means you will no longer have adjustable lighting in the instrument cluster.

I'll dig out a pic of the pins that need to be connected if you want to go down this route?
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Brian H wrote:As you stated Bob, the rheostat will have burnt out, two solutions really, replace with new or bridge out a couple of connections inside the switch. The later means you will no longer have adjustable lighting in the instrument cluster.

I'll dig out a pic of the pins that need to be connected if you want to go down this route?
That would be great, never understood why you need adjustable instrument lighting.
Do you know if the warning buzzer is on same circuit? Can live without it though.
How do you get light switch out of dash?

Cheers Bob
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Here you go Bob

Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Thats champion Brian, will give it a try tomorrow.

Cheers Bob
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Have a look here Bob, maybe give you a heads up on how to remove the switch, its a PITA to do.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 34#p360434
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Thanks for that but found this-

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=35763

Cheers Bob
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Thanks to Brian H :wink: i now have instrument lights & a buzzer... :D
Definately the rheostat at fault caused by the gear lever knob light, what a crap idea.
Am slowly working my way through the little faults, there will be more i'm sure. :?

Cheers Bob
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Well done Bob, glad it's sorted, it's nice when you can fix problems like this without having to splash out loads of cash.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi Lancsbob. Off topic but from a personal perspective - adjustable instrument lighting,I wouldn't be without it and especially when driving on pitch black motorways and trunk routes.
The constant brightness can be very very tiring on the eyes. The instrument panel on my Volvo V70 D5 SE Geartronic lights the front of the seating area up in pitch black conditions.

Is your Z3 the Silver one that I flashed last night (Saturday at 19:45 hrs) in Mescar Lane,Scarisbrick ?

Mine is a Topaz Blue Metallic with Chromed Side Grills/Vents.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: The instrument panel on my Volvo V70 D5 SE Geartronic lights the front of the seating area up in pitch black conditions.

Of course ..... the Volvo V70 D5 SE Geartronic ....
Its mentioned almost as often as Mike Fishwick's Golf TDi.... :roflmao:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi gookah. Actually it is not only my current V70 D5 SE Geartronic that is affected by an extremely bright instrument panel but also my previous 6 other Volvo V70's.

The ability to dim the instrument panel lights is an absolute God send and especially when I was covering between 25,000 & 35,000 miles :drive each year and almost always out before daylight and back home after lighting-up time :bow.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

:wink: :cheers

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi Lancsbob. Off topic but from a personal perspective - adjustable instrument lighting,I wouldn't be without it and especially when driving on pitch black motorways and trunk routes.
The constant brightness can be very very tiring on the eyes. The instrument panel on my Volvo V70 D5 SE Geartronic lights the front of the seating area up in pitch black conditions.

Is your Z3 the Silver one that I flashed last night (Saturday at 19:45 hrs) in Mescar Lane,Scarisbrick ?

Mine is a Topaz Blue Metallic with Chromed Side Grills/Vents.
Sorry for not replying, been away. No it wasn't me, mine is actually sorned at the moment until i sell my Mazda & mine's blue.

The rheostat is completely burnt out on my light switch so if you have a light up gear knob be very careful as they can easily short out
and destroy it.

Cheers Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi Bob. Not a problem and thank you for your reply.

I am intrigued by the "Lit-up Gear Knob" Do you mean the gate cover or the actual shift stick ? baring in mind that mine is an auto gearbox.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi Bob. Not a problem and thank you for your reply.

I am intrigued by the "Lit-up Gear Knob" Do you mean the gate cover or the actual shift stick ? baring in mind that mine is an auto gearbox.
The actual gear knob has 2 wires going into it from the gear lever to a light in the gear knob.
I think this was standard in the SPORT model. With all the gear changing i presume the wires
get freyed & short then fries the rheostat which means no instrument lights or warning buzzer.

Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi Bob. Not a problem and thank you for your reply.

The actual gear knob has 2 wires going into it from the gear lever to a light in the gear knob.
I think this was standard in the SPORT model. With all the gear changing i presume the wires
get freyed & short then fries the rheostat which means no instrument lights or warning buzzer.

Bob
Hi again Bob. When you say "The Sport Model" are you referring to the Auto with the sideways shift to Triptronic/Manual control of the auto box ?

My 2.0 litre auto is the regular straight line movement but with the electronic button that gives Sport - Economy - Manual.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

No, the Sport had extras like heated seats & air con plus M bits & pieces i think & include an M gear knob.
Mines a 5 speed manual.

Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:No, the Sport had extras like heated seats & air con plus M bits & pieces i think & include an M gear knob.
Mines a 5 speed manual.

Bob
Hi again Bob. Advances in technology and design !!!!!!!!!!!!!! for who ? - the parts department.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Thanks - this saved hours of anxiety. I did spend 30 minutes trying to figure wtf went wrong (checking fuses etc)
It seems that in the process of changing covers of my console I left the lighter wires free to short which fried the rheostat (there is no protection in the wiring).