Alarming problem!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Alarming problem!

Post by Julie Z3 »

The new cars turning out to have all the usual Z3 quirks lol..................seems like the alarms been causing the previous owners a few problems and the siren is deactivated?
Hazards flashing at will, checked the bonnet switch and that seems fine looked at the tilt sensor in the boot and this is knackered (lots of blue corrosion around the connecter, wiggled the wires and one fell out
I have taken a picture but having trouble uploading at the moment and really want to get this sorted asap,read through lots of previous posts but must be missing the info I need.Can I just disconnect this sensor as it seems to be listed as an alarm extra, if so do the wires need to be looped in any way or will I have to buy a new sensor and electrical plug to get it sorted?
Thanks in advance for any pointers
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Alarming problem!

Post by Brian H »

Hi Julie,

I am fairly certain you can just disconnect the tilt sensor with no ill effects, no harm in trying anyway. Just tape up the the wire that has come loose.

You need to host your photos on photobucket etc. and then link them to here.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7658

Brian
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thanks Brian

That's what we have done for now,the tilt sensor was an absolute mess , completely covered in green powder where its been wet and dried out and corroded,(not sure of the tech word). Very strange connector to the sensor itself it appears that the five wires aren't soldered to any pins they just appear to be clamped within the plastic connector so not sure how that works but it was falling to pieces anyhow.
Will order a new bonnet switch as these seem problematic and not too expensive to replace have shrink wrapped the five loose ends and all appears to be ok today, only thing I can't find is the alarm siren, doesn't appear to be where real oem diagrams point too unless the last owner took it out in frustration?

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Julie Z3 wrote:completely covered in green powder where its been wet and dried out and corroded,(not sure of the tech word)
Knackered. :wink:

That looks like a drowned sensor, so one of your priorities should be to make sure that the leak that caused the problem has been fixed. Check third brakelight, aerial grommet and rear window.

Regarding the siren, this should be located directly below the fusebox. If the car is not making any noises, then it is possible that is has been disconnected or removed. A 3.0 will have the later alarm, so there will be no key switch on it to turn it off.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Hi Robert
Certainly looks like it was drowned at some point, gave the car a good clean yesterday and checked for any water ingress, none that we could see which is good, ariel grommet looks a bit tired so will go to the top of the to do list, so far so good ....she doesn't seem to mind her sensory system being messed with lol
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Julie Z3 wrote:Hi Robert
Certainly looks like it was drowned at some point, gave the car a good clean yesterday and checked for any water ingress, none that we could see which is good, ariel grommet looks a bit tired so will go to the top of the to do list, so far so good ....she doesn't seem to mind her sensory system being messed with lol
Fairly certain I have a spare one of these and possibly the connector too if you are interested?
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thanks for the offer Brian ,would be nice to have her back to normal just the plug fell to pieces when it was removed from the sensor,would probably need to find a breaker and cut the plug and wire tails off so they could be soldered back into the original loom.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I may have the connector too, I'll have a look got you and let you know.
PJH

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by PJH »

Many thanks - had a similar issue in mid Dec and advice in the thread really helped me to resolve - disconnected the sensor which went fine with no ill effects (have a 2000 3.0)

not sure if I'm too bothered at replacing - tracked down and brought a second hand replacement but seems a vulnerable location for an electrical item / sensor and anyhow security wise anyone who is going to go the trouble to lift the car off onto a truck ( I understand that its a tilt sensor) well they'd be kinda determined so suspect that they'd get it somehow...

anyhow thanks again

PJ