Front ABS Front Sensors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Front ABS Front Sensors

Post by sapper0 »

HI All
Mine car is a 1999 2.0 Roadster. I have been getting all the usual light arrays associated with failure of these sensors. Both front units had failed. I obtained new ones from Europarts. Changed the near side no problems after having to drill out the old one. Had to do the same on the off side. Came to fit the new sensor this morning only to find that it is another near side sensor. In other words if I fitted it the pulse generator brushes would be upside down. It can only go into to the mount socket due to the position of the securing screw. Oh! bother says I or words to that effect. I went on many sites to see if they listed separate part numbers for the left and right.Part No I have is 34521163027. Every site I have looked on including Europarts and in the US of A all give that part number and say that there are two (one each side). Yet clearly there are two that are handed depending on which side. Help anyone got any ideas/advice or even better part numbers, I'm stumped. Cheers Pete
Lancsbob

blank

Re: Front ABS Front Sensors

Post by Lancsbob »

Does your car have DSC as mine does as they are handed, don't know about earlier cars with ABS

RHS 34526752690

LHS 34526752689

Cheers Bob
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by sapper0 »

Hi Bob

thanks for the reply. The interior switch says ASC which isn't much help as according to the handbook they both have the same switch. There is no record of DSC on the options list that BMW printed out for me for this car. I will try looking at some pictures in parts lists and see if they look the same.

Cheers

pete
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

As you say, one number for non DSC cars, mine in brackets has 2.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=31_0418

Someone with better knowledge than me on here will have the answer.

Cheers bob
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Our July 2000 2.0 (with ABS and not DSC) has the same sensor each side. They look handed because the sensing part has a slight cut-away on one side but the metal strips are visible on both sides. I fitted after market ones 5 years ago and they worked fine but you have to be careful as some vendors are now selling sensors for a Z3 that look right but the locating lugs in the socket for the electrical plug are in the wrong position so that the plug & socket won't connect together.
sapper0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by sapper0 »

Thanks all for your replies. All helpful. My problem is that I can't even compare new with old as I had to drill out the old ones because they were corroded in place and snapped when I tried to lever them out. I suppose the next sensible question would be; if I got the DSC sensors would they work with ASC? My problem is that if I fit the new RHS standard sensor in the correct position for the securing screw to line up the brushes will be upside down instead of in contact with the hub ring and I can't convince myself that this will work. :head: Thanks Pete