Cooling system consumables of choice??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Cooling system consumables of choice??

Post by mrscalex »

Just about to replace the thermostat, viscous fan and water pump. I don't really want to pay out for BMW OEM parts. But I certainly don't want cheapo junk.

I know the reputable makes include Behr, Meyle, Vaico, Febi.

For each part what are other forum members makes of choice?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Cooling system consumables of choice??

Post by Del »

Personally, I have used OE/BMW thermostat and Meyle water pump. Cheap viscous fans are a nightmare; they can make a terrible noise and not operate properly. I believe the OE viscous fan is made by Sachs – my son helped a friend replace a cheap (noisy and troublesome aftermarket one) with a Sachs one on an E46 and all was quiet and perfect again. I believe you can buy Sachs without necessarily buying via BMW.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks Del. Those look like good choices.

What does anyone else use?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

I have a 2.8 so parts are different but we used Meyle pump, wahle valve, Valeo thermostat (used the 4 cylinder version and deleted the viscous coupled fan which you can do if you have air con), also replaced belts with Gates equivalents. Used BMW antifreeze from dealer which was almost as cheap as any general brand.