Removal of inner wing

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Removal of inner wing

Post by mrscalex »

Okay, curiosity has got the better of me. How does an inner wing get removed? Is it all bolt on - this one seems to have come out very cleanly? Can it be done with the engine in situ? What needs removing to do it (apart from the obvious things like front end, bonnet and struts)?

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Removal of inner wing

Post by peter2b »

I think you will find its spot welded onto the chassis rail which is in 1 piece I think
Peter2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I would ask Andy / Spusrs fan ... he has stripped enough Z3's to provide a qualified answer... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:I think you will find its spot welded onto the chassis rail which is in 1 piece I think
Peter2b
I probably didn't word that very well. I actually meant the complete inner wing and chassis rail assembly in the photo.

It's got my mind wondering about repairing more heavily accident damaged cars :)
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

That part of the chassis rail has the engine mount and the anti roll bar fitted to it at least my z3 did when I repaired mine
Peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm fascinated by the fact this section takes so much weight and is integral to the chassis yet comes off the car so cleanly like it unbolts!
ImageImage