Under bonnet checks before taking to the road?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Under bonnet checks before taking to the road?

Post by mrscalex »

The 2.2 project is booked for its MOT on Monday (promise to my lad as it's his birthday). I'm out of town until Sunday now so it will be all hands on deck to get the seats in and lighting faults rectified then.

Under the bonnet has received little in the way of attention other than to check the fluid levels. The previous owner advised the car was running well before the accident that wrote it off but it hasn't been driven for 9 months now and I've never driven it myself as it was delivered to me. The running gear has all been checked to the best of my ability but I'm a bit apprehensive about the engine as it's a bit of a black box to me.

What stationary checks could I carry out to ensure it's in good order and stand the best chance of a trouble free drive to the MOT Monday?

All I can really think of is to check all hoses for leaks (nothing showing on the drive) and vacuum leaks. Also to charge the battery up. I have INPA and it works on my brother's 1.9 with the pacman connector but I'm struggling to get it to work with the other connector on the 2.2. I might only have an hour for these checks so might not have time to fumble around with INPA.

Once we've got the MOT it will get a service and cooling system overhaul.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Under bonnet checks before taking to the road?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

As long as it has oil and water in, I wouldn't worry. I assume you're not going that far anyway, as it's just for an MOT?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Under bonnet checks before taking to the road?

Post by Southernboy »

Other than fluids , hoses and fuses, tyre pressures, brakes, indicator / lights, hooters, wipers and all the other basics, there's not much else to cover. I assume you've pulled the plugs and checked they're all clean and functional.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions