Passenger Airbag removal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Passenger Airbag removal

Post by wonderloaf »

Hi All, I've got the mother of all dash rattles emanating from somewhere between the passenger airbag and the screen which I'm finding very hard to track down and is beginning to drive me insane.
I currently got the passenger side dash partially disassembled and would like to remove the passenger airbag to get better access to the area behind. I've read the excellent write up on here about removing the dash (haven't got to that point yet!) and removing the airbag seems pretty easy, seems that if I disconnect the battery and wait a while I can just disconnect the airbag and undo a few bolts and I'm done.

Just wanted to check so that I don't have the thing going off in my face!
Also if anybody's got any tips on what could making the rattle then they would also be much appreciated!

Cheers, wonderloaf
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
dennisedlin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Passenger Airbag removal

Post by dennisedlin »

You've no problem if you do as you've described. It's easy to remove, I think there's a retaining strap too but keep the battery disconnected until you completely reassemble.
Z3 2.2 Sport, everyone loves a Z3

wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

dennisedlin wrote:You've no problem if you do as you've described. It's easy to remove, I think there's a retaining strap too but keep the battery disconnected until you completely reassemble.
Cheers, I've already got the cover and retaining strap removed, just wanted to check before going to the next level.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I've just removed 2 out of both my zeds when swapping the dashboards, didn't bother disconnecting the battery just unplugged it and took cover! Honestly I actually forgot but neither went off nor did the steering wheel airbag but it's probably safer to disconnect the battery.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No, it is DEFINITELY safer to disconnect the battery. You do not want an airbag deploying when you are holding a screwdriver in front of your face!

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I have removed a few of these IIRC they bolt in from below (just above the glove box), As a precaution disconnect the battery - wait a while - then disconnect the airbag from the loom
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Cheers Guys, take it as read I will definitely be disconnecting the battery! Just hope it allows me to cure the rattle :(