Meyle Front Wishbones and other parts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Meyle Front Wishbones and other parts

Post by cosmosblack »

Hi im currently overhauling my z3, its in a sorry state but want to get it back on the road in the next few months, im wanting to replace nearly all of the suspension i have seen this on Ebay but seems a little to good to be true comparing other prices on ebay, i have emailed him and he said its is all Meyle but just wanted other peoples thoughts here is the ebay number 171236978281 or the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-Z3-E3 ... xyUrZSxe3v

and this is the other set im looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182064390410? ... Tags=bu=bu

Thanks in advance
bentley-boy

blank

Re: Meyle Front Wishbones and other parts

Post by bentley-boy »

Meyle is OE quality stuff, Lemforder is another. I personally would use a trusted seller such as BMW Motormec, always found them helpful. Many use the 'M' version rear bushing with solid rubber as it is supposed to help control 'tram lining'. Avoid cheapo stuff, Meyle is excellent!
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

Would you not trust these two then?? They seem to have good feedback although they do seem cheap, I'm ordering some powerflex bushes as well, and coilovers I think, not 100% thanks for the advice
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm probably about to buy a set and I'll be buying from johnny-boy if I go all Meyle. I believe both item and seller to be genuine. I think it's just a very good price.

However I may compromise and buy these wishbones from what I believe to be another trusted source and just get Meyle for the lollipops and drop-links. I've already got budget track rod ends from this seller. He has 100% feedback which is very rare and another forum member has recently recommended his wishbones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SER-E36 ... 0911096120

I'm on a strict budget rebuilding a project car but committed to making sure I get quality unbranded stuff if I can't afford Meyle. If it's all good I'd use the same on my personal car. If not I'll go all Meyle next time.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

thanks for the input, i think i might bullet and buy if it isnt up to scratch i will send back your always covered be ebay, my bill is rocketing at the minute but my z hasnt been driven in nearly 5 years, i have got another z3 to swap over the interior, its in a really sorry state but i want to get it looking mint again,
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

I've just bought a set from johnyboy-1 at £169. They seem to be genuine and were sent very quickly by courier and were well packed. I haven't fitted them yet but I have no complaints so far.
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

Have they got the Meyle stamp on the wishbone/control arm cheers
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Yes, the one I've unwrapped is marked MEYLE Germany 0976 and all the inserted bushes have the same stamped on them.
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

That's great I'm going to get them ordered thankyou
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

that's good I will get some on order as well, gives me some thing to do over the Christmas break
peter2b
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

Mine are ordered, so hopefully will be here tomorro, ordered a new battery so hopefully can get it moved into garage this weekend and let the work commence
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just ordered them from jonyboy should be here on the 6th
peter2b
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

Mine arrived a few days ago and all seems very good, i just have one question i have ordered powerflex bushes for the lower wishbones, and i have seem the powerflex on offer at carpartsforless so was thinking of getting more for the anti roll bar drop links are the bushes as easy to remove as the wishbones??
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

mine have just arrived including the steering rack ends ,any tips on roughly how long it takes to do both sides(how long is a piece of string) also any clue as to what are torque settings are
peterz3
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Your difficulty will be getting the old parts off. I used 3 different ball joint breakers on mine. The small c type on the tie rod (if you're doing that), the pincer type on the wishbone to strut and a fork on the wishbone to subframe. On both wishbone ball joints they needed a swift clonk with a hammer to actually separate them under the pressure of the breaker tool.

I had a major fight getting the lollipops on. In the end silicon spray and hand pressure was enough and the various devices I tried to rig up were unnecessary.

Then I had to replace the inner tie rods as well because I couldn't undo the union bolt.

Drop links easy off and on.

Putting it back together piece of cake.

Always difficult putting times on but if I was doing it again I'd say an hour off and an hour on per side. If you have the fights I had could be several hours per side getting off.

Just make sure you have all tools and parts ready where possible before you start.

If doing tie rods ensure your kit has inner locking washers and the union clamping collars. Most kits miss them out and they are difficult to reuse.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

thanks I should have most tools after 40 years of playing with cars I'm lucky to have a twin arm car lift in my man shed so hopefully 2 days should have her back on the road I will have athe tracking done as I'm replacing the track arms as well
peterz3
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

so far so good got the near side done the loly end nearly fell off as the rubber had nearly split in half and the fitting on the bottom of the upright was so loose it rattled when I got it off, just stopped for some thing to eat
peterz3
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

peter2b wrote:thanks I should have most tools after 40 years of playing with cars I'm lucky to have a twin arm car lift in my man shed so hopefully 2 days should have her back on the road I will have athe tracking done as I'm replacing the track arms as well
peterz3

hmmmm.... someone nearby with a twin arm car lift :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

all done , I've left her up on the ramp as I was going to give the under side with waxol but it had gone solid in the can (too cold) so I will do that tommorow, if any one would like to use my car lift for a day pm me
peterz3
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

all done good clean up at the rear brake pipes etc coat of rust cure then waxol even it the holes in the chassis , the only thing I found a bit of a pain was the nut on top of the bolt that's on top of the cross member couldn't get a retchet on it so had to use a spanner
peterz3
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Tightened the bolts up on my front end rebuild today. I did the wishbone/subframe bolts up with a 24" breaker bar but I did have the front bumper off.

I managed to get the torque wrench on to the offside in the end. And it got stuck under the engine mount! Took about 30 minutes getting it back out again!
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I'm going to double check all bolts/ nuts at the week end, but I have noticed a great improvement in the ride and handling
peterz3
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:I'm going to double check all bolts/ nuts at the week end, but I have noticed a great improvement in the ride and handling
peterz3
Couldn't get the torque wrench on the wishbone to subframe or knuckle bolts. Did the subframe up with a breaker bar that just squeezed on both. Thought I might have over-tightened so I resolved to put the torque wrench on the driver's side subframe bolt. It just squeezed on. Then took 30 minutes to get back off again...
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

didn't need to double check all nice and tight , glad I did check though
peterz3