Recent purchase and big trip-help

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Paulro

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Recent purchase and big trip-help

Post by Paulro »

Last week I bought my Z3 3L auto.
3 days ago I set out from Portsmouth to Caen and then a 1300 mile drive through France and Spain to the Algarve.
I'm pleased with the car, it hasn't missed a beat and according to the onboard computer has returned 32.8 mpg even when I've been constantly cruising at 80 mph. I think that's amazing.
One thing, the car is running cool. Rarely, other than in traffic or when the weather is much warmer does the needle get very much out of the green. It never reaches the half way point and the heater is inefficient.
I'm sure there's a good reason and many here will have experienced similar issues.
What do I do?
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Recent purchase and big trip-help

Post by Brian4 »

Congrats on your epic trip and sounds as if the car is being used as it was designed an easy distance cruiser.

The temp gauge needle should sit in the middle so would guess the thermostat has failed open. Should be a easy fix once you have got the fan and viscous hub off, left hand thread, and be aware of the electrical connection to the top of the thermostat. Any questions keep asking
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Paulro

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paulro »

Would eurocarparts be a good place to buy the replacement parts. (I've not owned one of these before) .
This is another question in itself.
What would be a good set of tools, spanners to undertake this type of job?
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi Europarts have a sale on at the moment & a thermostat with EU delivery is under £40 + antifreeze.
You will need a 32mm open ended spanned to remove the Viscous fan, not forgetting it's a left hand thread. The only other tool you will need are a basic socket set.
Lots of info on this site.
Good luck
H