Headlights.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Headlights.

Post by Ontiken »

Just checking with you Z3 experts, but are all the original Z3 headlights the same? For example,do the Facelift models have exactly the same headlights as the older models?
They look the same!
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Headlights.

Post by Boosh »

Hi, Ontiken,
AFAIK fittings are the same throughout years and models, but: pre-facelift models have side lights within the units, whereas facelift models have side lights in the bumper. Also, pre-facelift models have orange indicators (referred to as 'tango' lights), whereas facelift models have clear lens indicators. You can however 'de-tango' your lights, and can find threads using the forum's search engine. Finally, later models have plastic chrome arcs (not quite rings) around bulbs, hinting at angel eyes of later BMW siblings.
In other words, they are all the same, but not quite. Especially those ones.
Hope that helps a bit,

Boosh.

P.s.: rhd units cannot be turned into lhd, not the other way around.
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Although some earlier facelift cars have orange indicators (mine is July 1999 and has them).
Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Juvvajuvva »

You can reuse your pre facelift internal side lights on the later lights if you want by removing the mounded plastic inserts in the back of the units.Then your original bulb holders will twist fit in the holes.
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

Thanks chaps, I didn't realize there were quite so many subtle differences. Basically,I want to get my car back to original spec. At the moment it has some 'Angel eyes' fitted by a previous owner, so I'll have to check up on the correct lights to get.
Thanks again,
Ken.
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

Well, after a bit of on line research after reading those replies I know what I'm looking for : A pair of 2002 onwards specification lights which have clear lenses (not orange indicators). I'll put some wanted ads about!
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Boosh wrote:AFAIK fittings are the same throughout years and models, but: pre-facelift models have side lights within the units, whereas facelift models have side lights in the bumper.
This is not entirely true, all pre-facelift 6 cylinder models (the ones with wide ass) have side lights in the bumper, not within the units.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

when I repaired my 2002 face lift z3 I didn't know about the oranger/clear sidelights so I got what I could find (orange)
peter2b
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ontiken »

Yes,that's fine peter2b, but I want to get mine back to original spec ideally, so I'll just have to wait until the right lights come up at the right price !