Screen Washers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Screen Washers

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi nearside screen washer packed up again today, Did the same last year then I removed the jet bodies and one way valve things, and cleaned them, great until today this time have taken the valves off and thrown them away, best the screen wash has ever been, got some real force behind it. If you are thinking off doing this you will need a small length of screen wash pipe has the one on the offside will not reach the jets when valve removed. ( right hand drive car )
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Screen Washers

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Don't the valves stop the screenwash from draining back into the tank? I'd be interested to see whether after a few days you get a delay between pressing the button and any water coming out.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

The valves do stop the screenwash draining back.

If it clogs up regularly check the tank. You might find a surprising amount of gunk at the bottom.....
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi thanks for your input, Have removed and cleaned the tank (4 parts Milton steriliser 1 water, works a treat flush well afterwards). Can live with the delay, when I was a bit younger you had too pump the screen wash up by a manual pump on the dash.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I remember manual screen washers :-)

The one way valves do eventually fail internally but they are really quite cheap to buy from your friendly neighbourhood dealer....
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

must admit when these packed up it was a bit like the last straw, having just replaced the front ABS sensors ( by stripping and painting the front hubs) brake pad wear light wire and rear dampers, and come back from the M.O.T just for it to go on 5 cylinders and start running rich, no lights on the dash ? it was a bit of revenge. when I clam down may well buy some new valves
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Tufarlian wrote:I remember manual screen washers :-)

The one way valves do eventually fail internally but they are really quite cheap to buy from your friendly neighbourhood dealer....
They are surprisingly cheap - £5 ish.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

andy & fonz wrote:Hi thanks for your input, Have removed and cleaned the tank (4 parts Milton steriliser 1 water, works a treat flush well afterwards). Can live with the delay, when I was a bit younger you had too pump the screen wash up by a manual pump on the dash.
When I was a LOT younger I didn't have any screenwashers at all!

The draining back might be an advantage in frosty weather as it is less likely to freeze in the reservoir than in the tubes.