Alarm going off continuously when parked

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Alarm going off continuously when parked

Post by Robin82 »

Off the back of replacing the head gasket and a couple of engine sensors, I have another issue! About a day after the fix I woke up to my hazard lights flashing in a pattern - 1 -3 -1 -3 which I thought was odd as no alarm was sounding. I haven't used the alarm for over a year due to never locking my car (I live in a very remote village) and when I'm out I've just locked it manually. I replaced the remote batteries (as they were flat) but the alarm isn't responding at all. After locating the horn below the fuse box I twisted the key - a dumb move as it almost blew my eardrums out. Alarm going off confirmed.

I've disconnected the boot sensor and no change - although perhaps disconnecting would sound the alarm anyway?

I'm not sure if the year of my Zed has a tilt sensor, apparently not all Zed's do? I have a - 97 1.9L

What else could it be? I'm currently removing the hazard relay when parked up to prevent the battery from draining. Would a low battery cause this?
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Alarm going off continuously when parked

Post by Robin82 »

After digging deeper I found this very informative thread:

viewtopic.php?t=4959

It seems as though this was my issue - battery going completely dead (which I guess would count as it being disconnected) and then the alarm activating and codes being reset so I cant turn the bugger off!

Seems like a _fairly_ straight forward fix.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Usual culprit is waterlogged tilt sensor in left hand side of boot floor that's where yours will be on a 1.9
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

colb wrote:Usual culprit is waterlogged tilt sensor in left hand side of boot floor that's where yours will be on a 1.9
I read that as my Zed is one of the early models (1997) that it doesnt have a tilt sensor in the boot ?
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

sometimes an earth fault can cause the alarm to continuously sound. I had my bonnet re-sprayed recently and removed all the washer pipes and insulation shield etc myself. once my beautiful new bonnet was back on I forgot to connect up the earth cable which is in the far right had corner as you look into the engine bay. Many noisy hours later I traced it to this, connected it back up and all was good again. Could have worked its way loose?
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Bonnet alarm switch is another favorite - just disconect the plug connecter to the switch and add a wire loop across the terminals to make it think the bonnet is closed.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

billysally208 wrote:Bonnet alarm switch is another favorite - just disconect the plug connecter to the switch and add a wire loop across the terminals to make it think the bonnet is closed.
Disconnect it, but don't add a wire loop - that will make the alarm think the bonnet is open!