Useless (French) BMW dealers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Useless (French) BMW dealers

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
As per the advisory on my last mot 2 years ago (I'm in France), I took my 1.9 2002 pride and joy to the garage to have its tank straps replaced before going through a new mot. Delivery times for these parts from the BMW dealers went from "end of the week", to "end of next week", to "end of the month". It has now been 5 weeks and my garage has only received one of the two straps, with no indication of when the second one will turn up... BMW dealers around here have a bad reputation, and I'm starting to see why...
Any of you here in a similar situation? Any that might help?
Happy Zedding,

Boosh.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Useless (French) BMW dealers

Post by lightning »

I believe the tank straps are currently on back order from the factory.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

if its anything like the diff rear cover, they were on back order of 8 weeks, I paid and after 6 weeks got a call saying they would no longer be making any more, so was refunded.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

OK, thanks guys, that cheers me right up...
Still have to cross my fingers and wait. And then possibly go down the second-hand route... In the meantime, the car's under the car port, teasing me, and the tyres are going square!
Wish me luck,

Boosh.
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

I know it can be very frustrating when parts are difficult to obtain and the obvious thing is to blame the dealer (ref the title)
Having worked in a main dealer I appreciate both sides of the coin. When parts go back ordered it effects all dealers not just the Useless French ones.
Hope they turn up soon.
H
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

Mine are really crappy looking too. So I wire brushed them and got the old paint off. Underneath they were fine and just need a paint. It's 2mm steel will take ages to rot away.
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

That sounds like the answer. Didn't realize they were that thick. I might inspect mine and just remove them and treat them with a clean up and paint.
All Z's are now 15 years + old and it's a fact of life that constant maintenance is part of life, most rubber bushing starts to deteriorate after 15 years as slight splits in my top suspension mounts show....next job next week.
H
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

The spares supply for older BMW's is better than most. Try getting spares for a 20 year old Fiat/Alfa/Vauxhall/Ford etc from the dealer