Z3 hand brake adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Z3 hand brake adjustment

Post by Patty »

Just a query on the pros and cons of adjusting the handbrake on a 2002 Z3 roadster 1.9i. My local garage says its not a straight forward job, has anyone undertaken this adjustment, if so whats involved.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Z3 hand brake adjustment

Post by Boosh »

Adjusting the handbrake is technically not that complicated, but very fiddly. A few videos on eBay are quite helpful, including this one: https://youtu.be/VI5r6I3_U_k
Hope that helps,

Boosh.
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Patty »

Thanks for your reply, watched video which was quite explicit, removed one of my wheel but found that my model differs from the video. Did notice that the brake pads look low so will change these and see what effect that has on the handbrake operation.
Thanks again
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

The brake pads do not operate the handbrake. They bite on the edge of the disc, which is shaped like a top-hat. The handbrake mechanism is actually a drum brake: inside the cylinder part are two brake shoes that slide outwards from inside, and prevent the wheel from spinning. Their resting position can be adjusted by spinning a cog one way or the other. That cog can be reached with a long screwdriver through a wheel bolt hole while the wheel remains on the car. It's fiddly, but doable.
Though it is possible, I'm not aware of other handbrake set-ups on Z3s.
Hope that helps,,

Boosh.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The task of adjusting is fiddly as Boosh says.
What is more "fiddly" and what your serviceman is referring to as not a straight forward job,is to get the same degree of grab on each of the back wheels so they both act equally.
The "fine tuning" of adjustment after the initial adjustment as described by Boosh, is done by adjusting the cable tensions located under the handbrake lever gaiter. There are both left and right hand side cables each with two nuts on each cable - one acts as a locking nut.
Ideally the adjustment and final set position should be made in conjunction with a rolling brake test machine to get both in perfect balance.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions