European Environmental Protection Zones

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Environmental Protection Zones are spreading like wildfire over Europe, and following in the footsteps of Germany and France, Austria and Denmark have now introduced their own Environmental Protection Zones, with an assortment of windscreen stickers to match. These regulations also apply all to vehicles, including foreign-registered, so anyone planning a European tour would be wise to investigate this, and obtain a suitable sticker before travelling. For information see:

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information- ... tml#c18231

Note that it is a lot cheaper to purchase a French sticker directly from the French government website:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

The same saving probably also applies to the German EPZ stickers.

My 2.8 litre Z3, for example, qualifies for a Category 3 sticker from the French Government (1 = clean, 5= dirty) but the really confusing bit is that the entry approval number for entry into any EPZ can change with the weather - literally! No doubt drivers are expected to use their smartphones to check the status of the day.

Germany has also introduced a sticker for fine particulate emissions, and will soon also provide one for levels of nitrogen oxides - those planning a trans-European tour are going to have difficulty in seeing through their windscreens!

The Germans are also bringing out a special sticker for all-electric cars which are not type-approved for Germany, and two blue stickers denoting your Euro emissions approval level. Another sticker is going to show that your diesel engine meets Euro 6 - with a particulate filter and Adblue injection. Basically, many areas will no longer permit the use of Euro 2 diesels and Euro 3 petrol vehicles, while certain areas demand a Euro 6 approval level. You have a car which does not comply with these levels? Tough luck - it is assumed that you can afford to buy something which does . . .

While the Austrian legislation applies to ordinary cars, they are currently only required to carry the sticker, but are not subject to any restriction on use. This dispensation could change overnight, and as local area governments can introduce their own EPZ areas, anyting could happen. As it stands, vehicles of Euro 2 and earlier acceptance may be forbidden from use in areas of poor air quality.

Even Belgium has produced a similar system, with the added complication that although a sticker is available, it does not allow entry to the various low emission zones, where each area seems to have different standards and their own sticker! Perhaps they just do not want us to visit their country.

The UK government, who are currently in breach of agreements on improving air quality, are doubtless looking at a similar system, which will probably be introduced in London, before spreading over the country. Like the congestion charge, it will be arranged to provide a steady income for local councils.

It all sounds like an April Fools Joke, doesn't it - I'm sure that the eco-warriors will not be happy until every vehicle is banned from every road . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Gusete1

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: European Environmental Protection Zones

Post by Gusete1 »

It is already a mess having to comply with the national anti pollution regulations regarding those stickers. What is crazy is that you have to go through the same ordeal for every country you want to travel to. Shouldn’t the politicians make the citizens life easier instead of the opposite? I’d like to see what we will do next summer. I was planning a long travel this May and I’m already discouraged. An EU sticker should be enough for the whole Europe.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: European Environmental Protection Zones

Post by LaRy »

I read that Madrid will also have a sticker to be allowed to enter the city. Unfortunately, that is not for sale for foreign cars………..
Gusete1

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gusete1 »

If you have a foreign license plate you don’t need the sticker but you have to comply with the city law regarding the traffic while a pollution alarm is on. It is quite a mess but generally no petrol car older than 2000 or diesel under 2004 will be allowed inside the M30 which is the road system that surrounds the city. The younger ones can get in looking for an underground parking and electrics and hibrids can still park on the actual streets as it used to be the case for all.