car dead any ideas

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

car dead any ideas

Post by mickdev »

Ok, Over the past couple of days, my remote has been working intermittently, not opening the doors and a couple of times when I have put the key in the ignition, the dash lights up momentarily then goes blank, after a couple of tries at putting the key back in the ignition its lit up and started. this happened last night as I put the car in the garage.
This morning I went in and the remote wouldn't work so I gained access by key and put the key in the ignition and its totally dead, no matter how many attempts nothing is happening. I quickly tested the power to the battery and it was 12 volts, I fitted a new battery 3 months ago.
Had to leave for work so that s as far as ive got.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: car dead any ideas

Post by mrscalex »

If it’s exactly 12v then it’s the battery. A charged battery needs to be 12.6v or just above.

And it sounds like the battery from the symptoms too.

If you are only occasionally using the car and for short journeys even a new battery can go flat in 2-3 weeks.

And/or you may have parasitic drain from eg the boot light staying on.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

Thanks, will have it checked
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Agree what Mr Scalex said, I had a problem arise with mine being dead after putting it away, realised it happened only after having used headlights. Checked out what the alternator was putting out and it was only putting out 12v instaed of a healthy 14v+. Fitted a replacement alternator and that solved the problem. Have fitted a small usb socket with built in digital voltmeter since then so I can keep an eye on the charging voltage.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

I have been using it regularly as the weather has been so good but only a couple of miles in the morning and couple in the evening to the train station and back and a ride out at weekends ten to twenty miles or so, funny enough I used my headlights yesterday morning.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

OK with that short mileage it wouldn't take long to deplete the battery over time if the alternator output is below par, use of the headlights would accelerate its depletion. Well worth putting a volt meter on the battery when you get it running to see what its putting out over the rev range. Can you jump start the car to get it running?
Last edited by colb on Fri 24 Aug, 2018 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

yes, I will get the jump leads on it from the other car tonight.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Two questions:

Where did you measure 12v and was your voltmeter directly across the battery terminals?

What do you mean by dead? Even with only 12v available it might not turn the car over but you would expect some lights to illuminate on the dashboard.

It is also confusing when you say you have had intermittent issues. Modern batteries tend to work or they do not. Of course, as suggested there could be an issue with your charging circuit.

The first thing I would check is the cleanliness and tightness of the battery terminal connectors. In my days of owning a Z3 my negative battery terminal connector became loose for no apparent reason and I had the sympoms you describe... No central locking, no dash lights no start. I tightened up the battery connectors and everything was fixed. I have heard of other Z3's doing the same.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

Sorted it, thanks for suggestions, it turned out when I had time to look that It turned out to be a loose battery terminal on the positive side, it was sometimes making contact sometimes not, knocked it down with a piece of wood and tightened it up, been fine ever since.