Steering grating noise and slipring

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Steering grating noise and slipring

Post by Richieroo »

I've bought a s/h slipring to replace my grating one. Should I lubricate this in any way before I fit it? Anything I need to watch out for in fitting? I've watched some of the videos on YouTube and it seems fairly straightforward.

Thanks

Richard
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Steering grating noise and slipring

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I'm puzzled - why do you think your 'slipring' is grating and the replacement needs to be lubricated? The horn push and airbag are connected by a flexible connection strip similar to a watchspring. It therefore does not need lubrication, and cannot make a 'grating' noise.

I would bet that the noise is caused by the steering column shroud not having beeen fitted properly, and is touching the back of the steering wheel.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
micahz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by micahz3 »

yeah, no, these contact rings definitely do develop a bit of noise when they go bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGThCsOf0UE

no lubrication required as far as i'm aware.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

A squirt of silicon spray (curtain rail lubricant) helped quieten mine down a bit.However the main noise came from the bottom of the steering column. There is a spring and bearing down there the gets dry and makes this grating noise. The sound goes up the tube making it sound like its coming for the top. I bought all the parts to replace, but its a painful job to do so I tried a handful of grease first. I spent some time working it onto the spring/bearing area. All quiet going on 2 years now :)
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richieroo »

Thanks - do you get to this from inside the cockpit or the engine compartment?

Richard
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Engine compartment. See where the steering column comes through the firewall and follow it down. You should see a spring at the bottom just before where it connects to the rack.

I'll warn you its a pig to get your hand down there. Some spray grease would be easier. but I did not have a long enough tube. :(
Last edited by siwilson on Mon 05 Nov, 2018 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
zedzedthree

blank

Post by zedzedthree »

My z3 did this grating / scuffing thing about 5 years ago and I replaced airbag squib with no change to symptoms (which were worse in cold weather)
Used a can of PTFE type bicycle lube with supplied straw and after protecting the ground,proceeded to blast about 1/3 of the can at bush-spring-uj
where it exited firewall in engine bay. Result was immediate 50% reduction in noise after a couple of days,followed up with a couple of well aimed salvos of regular 3 in 1 spray oil and next day noise had gone forever.
I followed up with a blast of thicker spray grease with ptfe and have given assembly a light spray before winter since and it remains perfectly silent.
Everything to gain and nothing to lose-just remember to protect floor below car,may take a few days to work around the bush etc but worked for me.
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richieroo »

Well...... fixed it now - it was the slipring but not what I thought - when I dismantled the "tape" inside the ring had somehow come out from the housing and wasn't operating properly - that was the source of the noise. I did use the new one that I bought, but when I looked at the old one, I was able to wind the tape back in and it appears OK - so I've now got a spare. Don't quite know how it could have happened in the first place, bearing in mind it's all pretty contained when in place.

Many thanks for help.

Richard
zemoal45

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by zemoal45 »

micahz3 wrote: Sun 04 Nov, 2018 21:07 yeah, no, these contact rings definitely do develop a bit of noise when they go bad.

gtstickers

no lubrication required as far as i'm aware.
impressive noise but generally with some 3 in 1 oil you can solve this, its good to know when you have some available 8-)