Windscreen replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Windscreen replacement

Post by wonderloaf »

Hi all, managed to get a stone chip and windscreen crack on the Z3 on the way home from work the other night, hope to get a replacement through the insurance. The insurance company use Nationwide Windscreens, anybody any experience with these people, anything I should look out for or should ask for?

TIA, wonderloaf
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Windscreen replacement

Post by mrscalex »

Insist on a proper BMW screen. Not their cheapie version.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
petecossie

M coupe S50

Re: Windscreen replacement

Post by petecossie »

When my windscreen cracked 12months ago I contacted my insurance company and they gave the option of either going with standard excess and having the screen replaced by a franchaised installer or paying higher excess and getting OEM windscreen. I went for the OEM route, I did however have to pay the bill myself as I had to arrange everything with local BMW dealer, then claim refund. I would advise going that route especially if you have a green tinted screen as I had. Even the dealer got that bit wrong, I insisted I wanted like for like to what was fitted. Make sure that a new seal and fitting kit is part of the deal. Also be aware that there are two different windscreen seals for the roadster and the coupe.
Good luck.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina