Oil level sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Oil level sensor

Post by dazthephot »

Just a quick check guys. My amber oil indicator is taking longer to go out after start. There’s plenty of oil in so is it a sensor replacement job? Can the sensor be serviced or cleaned?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Oil level sensor

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Change the sensor at the next oil change. They are not serviceable.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

NZ00Z3 wrote:Change the sensor at the next oil change. They are not serviceable.
Ah right thank you.

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The sensor operates by heating a small amount of oil around its body, and then reading the incerease in temperature further up the sensor body.

Your problem may therefore be as simple as an accumulation of sludge on the sensor body, acting as a heat insulator, so it is worth removing the sensor and checking it for cleanliness before dashing out to buy a replacement.

It should be possible to test the sensor by turning on the ignition - the light should be on - and then wrapping a towel soaked in hot water around the sensor body, which should cause the warning lamp to go out.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The sensor operates by heating a small amount of oil around its body, and then reading the incerease in temperature further up the sensor body.

Your problem may therefore be as simple as an accumulation of sludge on the sensor body, acting as a heat insulator, so it is worth removing the sensor and checking it for cleanliness before dashing out to buy a replacement.

It should be possible to test the sensor by turning on the ignition - the light should be on - and then wrapping a towel soaked in hot water around the sensor body, which should cause the warning lamp to go out.
Ah brilliant thanks Mike I’ll try that. There’s bound to be sludge in there as the car only runs for 20 minutes am then the same pm as the missus commutes to work in it. The car doesn’t even heat up enough to burn any rubbish out of the oil.