Drivers seat fixed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Drivers seat fixed

Post by Parki »

Having put up with a stuck seat for longer than I should, just spent most of the day trying to free the up/down movement. Following a couple of the instructions on this site, managed to get it loose, sprayed everything with WD40 & vacuumed underneath (found sixpence) re fitted seat & coupled up the battery - works fine & no seat belt light on. Many thanks to all who post info on this site.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Drivers seat fixed

Post by Boosh »

You were lucky! No amount of WD40 would fix my dead motor. Surprisingly, swapping for a working one did the trick... Some you win, some you lose, I suppose.
But replacing the bushes some months later was all the easier.

Boosh.
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

Yes - I did have to disconnect the aluminium connector & crank it by hand 1/2 turn! Not the most difficult job but really glad it works.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Excellent news
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
A Wicked Keeper

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by A Wicked Keeper »

After having had that centimetre of slip since I bought the car six weeks ago, I replaced the bushes on my electric seats last week - passenger seat first and the following morning the driver's seat. between an hour and a half and two hours each seat. Many thanks to those involved in posting the help guides here - very clear and straightforward. There were two stumbling blocks I found - and one suggestion.
Firstly, rather than having to remove the seat from the car, I rotated it so that the backrest was resting on the other seat and the underside was adequately exposed facing outwards of the open door.
Secondly, on reassembly I found the only way to line up the short three inch square ended flexible cable between the rotating screw and the motor housing was to attach it to the rotating screw and feel the end engage with fingers at the motor end when the slider prevented either end being seen. There is an inspection window, yes - but not really large enough to help. That was the most fiddly part.
It is as well to test the motor after reattaching the electrical connections to ensure both screw
sections and the motor are succesfully connected before realigning the seat. If only one side works, you don't want to have to take everything to bits again.
Thirdly, lining up the four holes for rebolting on the seat, there is the possibility that the length of a screw turn on refitting the bushed section misaligns the holes later, so be careful to get the mechanism screwed exactly the right amount before reassembly. If the rear bolts and front nuts are all fitted loosely first, it is much easier to line them up initially then tighten them when all successfully offered into their respective holes.
Very satisfying to have a firm seat now.