Oil housing bolt

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Guppista

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Oil housing bolt

Post by Guppista »

Hi, Changed the oil housing gasket on my Z3 1.9 M43 2001 today - it appeared there was only 5 bolts whan I got to it however on disassembly and closer inspection there were actually 5 and a half :( . Having the car in parts I relapsed the gasket and o rings that were parst their best - doesn't appear to be weeping after a short drive - has anyone drilled out an oil housing bolt or is anyone else driving around at the moment with just 5 bolts? The half bolt is bottom rear - just trying to decide what to do.

Paul
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Oil housing bolt

Post by LaRy »

I've seen a working good principle how to remove broken bolts in aluminum houses.
You put a nut over the broken bolt and weld inside the nut. As soon as it is not glowing any longer, you remove the nut including the bolt. I definitely got the impression that the heat from the welding also made the bolt to get loose.
Guppista

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Oil housing bolt

Post by Guppista »

Thanks, I hadn't considered that. I needed the car this morning so reassembled everything - the original oil leak is fixed and at the moment it isn't weeping from the corner with the missing bolt - I think it was mostly leaking from the top of the housing before but the leak had turned severe with the engine running (like a nicked artery). Must have only been weeping slightly before, if at all on the corner with the missing bolt as although there was a small leak last summer it wasn't dripping just a bit of misting.

Doing a bit of research I might try a hinge drill bit guide and a Cobalt Left Hand Drill Bit - if I'm lucky the and it extracts I can just add the missing bolt without taking the oil housing off - the oil housing will provide a recess for the drill bit guide. Although if it doesn't weep maybe I will stop worrying and and wait until I have that side apart again.

Paul