Axel Stands

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
nunncm

Z3 roadster 2.8

Axel Stands

Post by nunncm »

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I to put Axel stands on my Z3 please. I want to lift her up over the winter to get her off her wheels and want to give the suspension parts a good scrub and possibly a paint with some POR etc. Ive looked on the net and it's not clear - quite a few people put them on the jack points but surely they should go someone on or near the actual Axels?

Thanks

Charlie
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Axel Stands

Post by Gazza »

Axle stands got their name years ago when cars had axles.

It is recommended to use the car jacking points at the side of the car for the stands.

One of the main problems is finding a trolley jack to fit under the jacking points.

One remedy I use for this, pieces of 225 x 50 wood and drive the car onto these so the trolley jack fits under the jacking points.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Surely the question is if you are going to use the jacking points for the axle stands, where do you put the jack to lift the car onto the stands?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Video link shows the method.

https://youtu.be/ISHpkxt4cEw
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Good video. Thanks