Basic information for home maintenance ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Basic information for home maintenance ?

Post by Bertie »

Hi
I 'm looking for information so that I can do basic maintenace at home. I want to do a complete drain and refill of all systems before Spring
Is there a basic manual ,with the essential information on quantities, specifications , " " how to " ?
I've found recent Haynes manuals for other cars to be of little use

Cooling system :
Capacity , where are the drain points ,Is there a specific method of filling the system , does it have to be up on ramps or burped to fill ?

Engine
Sump capacity ,Is synthetic oil essential for ordinary use .

Gear box and rear axle
Oil capacity and specification

Brake and clutch
DOT 3 ,DOT 4 ,or silicone fluid , Quantities for complete flush .

I also need advice on refinishing my wheels .
The wheels are original BMW LA Wheelstar spoke 95 [ part no S 268] These are a 2 piece wheel with the rim held onto the centre by many Allen screws
Two of the rims are heavily corroded in places, the rim seems to be coated / plated steel , not alloy .
Is it feasible/ economic to to split the wheel and refinish the rim ? Would stripping the remains of the existing finish and then powder coating work ?
Any help would be much appreciated ,
Thanks
Bertie
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Basic information for home maintenance ?

Post by pingu »

I use BMW TIS which is a CD that you buy off the internet, but there are online versions available...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Pingu
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Thanks pingu
Bertie
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

A great source of reference is the realoem site plus you could get yourself a Bentley service manual. Stick your chassis number into the realoem website for oem part numbers for reference if you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Thanks Daz
The real oem site is really useful . It sorted out my misconceptions about the construction of my wheels and confirmed that the gear box and back axle oil doesn't need to be changed .Hours and hours of geeky reading here
I still need a "Boys Wonder Book of the Z3 " type shop manual , which is better ,Haynes or Bentley ??
Bertie
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

The Bentley manuals are more technical and considered the bibles of car maintenance. The Haynes ones aren’t too bad albeit a bit simplistic and general in certain areas especially when it comes to different engine types. I have one for mine but it’s the wrong year, my car is a 1999 but the manual is for a 1996. I use it for other info like suspension and brakes etc, I’ve been meaning to get a new one specific to my car and engine. I bought a cd version once but find it hard to use, I’m used to using manuals.

They were really expensive once but I’m sure I’ve seen them on amazon for around £30. Combine it with YouTube, this forum and you’ve got it cracked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

The most tricky part to change is the coolant. You need to follow the procedure "according to the book" in order to get the air out from the system.
I would say that BMW is using a very odd principle for the cooling system. The water reservoar and the water level is actually not the highest point in the system. You have to follow the instructions, found in Bentlleys.
If I'm correctly informed, the Z3 is using different gearboxes, and you must check the type and color on the label on the box, to figure out what oil to use. 3 totally different oils are used, even ATF oil in one type of the manual gearboxs.
Brake fluid, you can hopefully change fluid if you are lucky, but the BMW workshop will connect the car to the computer and run the ABS pump while changing, according to instructions.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Have you had a look in the Z3 Knowledgebase? It holds lots of maintenance information.

I agree that the TIS disc is the best, but it assumes a certain level of background. The Bentley manual is a waste of money, being based on the pre-September 1998 models, which were superceded by the M54TU engine twin-VANOS engine. It also avoids many jobs, claiming that the car must be taken to 'the shop' as these tasks are too difficult . . . See my review of it in the Knowledgebase.

You may as well buy the TIS set and the Haynes E46 manual, then apply some flexible thinking.

Assuming that your wheels are the usual 3 litre BBS type - often referred to as 'split rims' but actually demountable rims - the rim is not made of steel. Splitting and recoating etc is possible, but the original use of thin clear lacquer on the rims is a recipe for stone chips and corrosion. For a really good repaint, a company such as Pristine Alloy Wheels will charge about £250 per wheel - silver powder-coating on both parts of the wheels is a far better option, unless you have a fetish for originality.

Forget about using mega-expensive 'Special' BMW oil for the gearbox - the original fill was Fuchs Syntofluid, which can be bought from Opieoils.com, although a lot of owners (such as me) use Amsoil or other equivalent type - see the opieoils.com website. The three colours of sticker on the gearboxes are simply a sign of progress - originally it was filled with a mineral oil, which was replaced by ATF, and as progress took place a fully synthetic became the standard, which is suitable for all ages and types. Castrol do a specific LSD oil. See my comments on capacity in the Knowledgebase, as the stated volumes do not even reach the level plug - from 37 years of BMW motorcycle experience I find that BMW have a problem in this department!

As for 'Sealed for life' gearboxes and final drives - if you believe that, you must also be a believer in the Tooth Fairy and Father Christmas . . . 'Life' to BMW is simply the time for which the car will be under warranty.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Thanks Mike
I'm gradually finding my way around the information available ,which is widely scattered .Previously I have found handy dandy summaries listing specifications and quantities needed for routine maintenance for all of my summer toys . In contrast BMW seem to have adopted a Rolls Royce attitude to the 21st century peasant owner ; 'Should the vehicle fail to proceed the owner should instruct his chauffeur etc "
I have a general problem of trying to find North American equivalent for some European fluids .Since BMW builds cars in the USA , I presume standard SAE lube oils and DOT 4 hydraulic fluids met BMW requirements and standard glycol antifreeze dosed with additives for alloy engines is compatible .
I have not found any info on N American fluids for Bubba Beemers yet .
The search for enlightenment continues !
Bertie
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Like most BMW cars, the Z3 is not particular about its fluids, but some work better than others. Remember that the current infatuation with 0-30 engine oils is intended for those who insist on driving hard with a cold engine, but their use can often result in high oil consumption, particuarly in the M54 engine such as the 2.2 and 3 litre models of Z3.

An allied problem is the use of 'Longlife' engine oils, which are supposed to last a year, and the owners who do not go for a change until the service Interval lights tell them to - sometimes several years. These oils are synthetic, which while being wonderful lubricants can extend the running-in period a lot. In an average engine the use of a 10-40 is more sensible, with a normal (non-synthetic) oil in case of high consumption problems. Change the oil at least every year regardless of mileage.

There are plenty of good oils around, and no bad ones, but remember that the API classification - such as SG or SJ etc - is important as well as the viscosity.

Gear oil is an odd case, where in North America many manufacturers use the SAE scale for engine oil, which is of course different from the engine oil scale. For example, an American SAE 5-30 gear oil is the same as a European SAE 75w-85 on gear oil viscosity . . .

In general, an ATF such as Dextron 3 or 4 will be fine in the power steering, with Castrol SAF-XJ for the final drive, a synthetic 10-40 SJ or better for the engine, and a synthetic oil for the gearbox.

As per my bit in the Knowledgebase, remember to replace the pair of small 'O' rings inside the oil filter - ignore them at your peril!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!