2000 Z3 DSC 178 error Preload Pump Actuation Error

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Caribe Turf

Z3 roadster 2.3

2000 Z3 DSC 178 error Preload Pump Actuation Error

Post by Caribe Turf »

2000 Z3 2.3 Treves MK20 DSC II (cover of module says ATE controller DSC3-ES) reads in INPA under E36; Chassis ; ASCMK20/DSC E46

Living with the ABS and DSC lights on for a period of time and running INPA and finding no faults but yet could see all the inputs I decided to spring for a
used DSC module, The ABS light went off and all seemed good until the DSC light came back on but not the ABS light, progress! The fault was the lateral sensor which at first I mistook for the yaw sensor. disconnecting the yaw sensor and reading the faults got me back on track. The Lateral sensor replaced went for a test drive and the DSC light came back on again This time it was #177 preload pump electrical failure. I could not active the pump motor with INPA. Looking at the wiring diagram I say that fuse 51 (30 amp) in the aux fuse seemed to be tied to the pump when I checked it was blown. I replaced the fuse able to activate the pump with INPA, test drive the DSC light came on again note all these times the DSC light comes on when driving slightly over 20mph. The fault this time is #178 preload pump actuation error.

I am trying to find out what error # 178 Preload Pump Actuation Error means ? what set this fault?

I have not found very much information on Treves MK20 faults.

I would also like to find information on coding the DSC I have done it with NCS Expert but want to confirm I have done it correctly.

The ABS works and under 20 mph the DSC also works.

Here you can see photos of the failed module note blown capacitor and brunt racings on circuit board as compared to replacement module..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7btJcdeRYFoYtoDm6
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: 2000 Z3 DSC 178 error Preload Pump Actuation Error

Post by Mike Fishwick »

That's the price of so-called 'Progress!' Faults on old DSC systems are certainly not unknown, and are always expensive - just more over-complex junk which you do not need.

Could you remove the entire DSC system and still pass an MoT? As DSC was not mandatory when the car was built, I would have thought this would be acceptable.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Caribe Turf

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by Caribe Turf »

I understand that the DSC is not needed, I have been driving for a while without working, I am interested in fixing it.
Caribe Turf

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by Caribe Turf »

Fixed! Pre-pump was bad

Thanks for all the help!
Caribe Turf

Z3 roadster 2.3

Re: 2000 Z3 DSC Information

Post by Caribe Turf »

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Glad you got it sorted
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage