New member and problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TripleA

Z3 roadster 1.9

New member and problem

Post by TripleA »

Hello to all
MY applcation was delayed in the "system" and in the interim I experienced a problem as follows last week.

First thanks to all for your welcome to me earlier this month' But now I need help!
Out driving 40 miles from home in town engine stopped -all instrument lights out. Stopped -key to off then back to on pos 2 -all warning lights on then slowly reset and extinguish to normal but traction light and auto box shift warning still on Gear to Park and engine started -traction light stays on and does not respond to AST-T on /off switch operation Drive 300 yards engine stops again . repeat 6 times limping to friends home
and train home.
Z3 1.9 1998 Auto in otherwise excellent condition I've owned only 2 weeks.Previous owner had similar occurence but ECU reset as precaution and seemed okay after So ---
TripleA

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: New member and problem

Post by TripleA »

Addition to my previous
But --returned to car which started normally traction light out. Disconnected battery earth for 5 minutes to reboot systems -engine then restarted again normal traction light off and switched on and off with ATS-T switch Set off and drove 30 yards - engine and electrics cut out.
Engine now will not restart at all ! Was now ready to consider Swan Vestas as ignition source but instead more optimistically had it transported to local (reputable) garage for code reader and other basic diagnostics.
Wi;; post back with outcome in the future but any similar experiences wellcome
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Hope it gets sorted soon, not a very good start :?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

First step would be to check power supply (battery and alternator).
Park the car in front of a wall. Turn on the headlights and check if the light remains on during starting. If the engine would start, remain in front of the wall and check if it happens anything to the light when the engine stops.

I have one initial guess, that the power from the battery to the alternator to the electronics is weak somewhere. Most probably at the ground.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

A fault code reader would also be a good investment and maybe solve the problem. But you have to remember, fault codes in a car from 1998 is definitely not the same as today.
Probaly you will get a lot of faultcodes, but it we will help you to sort it out
TripleA

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TripleA »

Thanks
GAZZA definately not a good start (or pun?)
As above car now in hands of others but will force test of your fault find advice.
Appreciated all ! Any other experience?