Z3 alarm module.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zola3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Z3 alarm module.

Post by Zola3 »

Hey guys - happy days from North Norfolk where there's very little covid - but I expect they'll still shut us down anyway....So to the point....has anyone been able to access the alarm module via INPA (or anything else for that matter)? I was trying to confirm that repeated erroneous alarm firing is the old chestnut of the bonnet switch being dodgy - a second hand newer type (MINI/X3 etc) for a fiver is on the way - so nothing much lost if it's not that

I thought I'd read you could access the module to read off errors and diagnose false alarms, as it were.
I say Soanes - park the Z3 would you? There's a good chap.
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 alarm module.

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Hi from New Zealand where we kicked Covid out the door twice and returned to a normal life.

What age is your Z3?

Which alarm system do you have? Apline or DWA?

I'm familiar with the DWA alarm as used in the UK facelift Z3's. The DWA is part of the GM4/ZKE4 module. So you can look in there to see the input contacts from the doors hood/bonnet etc.

The hood/bonnet switch is one common problem. Just unplug it and it is disabled.

The tilt sensor is another common problem. It is located in the left rear side of the boot/trunk. A water leak often leaves it swimming in water and kills it. They have been dried out and made to work again. Unplugging it is the usual way of getting around the problem, then fixing the water leak.

I have a set of wiring diagrams that cover the DWA alarm for the facelift Z3's. I can't attach it to this message, so PM me your email address and I'll send it to you f you want it.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

In the UK, the alarm changed around 09/98, rather than the facelift. I have the later alarm on my car, and although I can access everything else via INPA, I haven't managed to talk to the alarm to see what triggered it. I know it is possible though as a dealer once printed out some data from it when mine was going off at random. Turned out to be a sticky label on the interior movement sensor, waving in the breeze, as the problem stopped when I found an EWS label on the floor!

Best method for finding alarm faults is a process of elimination. You can disable and unplug some of the sensors to find what is causing the problem. Also, little telltales like the interior light flickering on whilst driving indicate a problem with a worn switch button, which will likely result in the wind triggering the alarm.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Zola3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zola3 »

Thanks for your generous replies guys...it is a later ('02 2.2) Zed with the ZWA. (If the bonnet switch cures it then all well and good).
The frustrating thing is when you go into INPA (at least on my laptop and INPA variant) and select E36 Body options there is an item indicating the E36/7 alarm module. However, when I select this I get a crash and INPA reports it can't access it.
Similarly frustrating is I can't reset the service lights either even though INPA says it has. Is this to do with using a USB connection as opposed to old RS232? (My laptop hasn't got this.) It's a bit flaky at times.

If I make no progress I might take you up on the wiring diag.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Just use a piece of wire to reset the Service Indicator lights - the procedure is in the Knowledge base.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I use USB on mine. RS232 is really only needed for the early cars. I've not tried to see whether the alarm module works with RS232, as my adapter is USB. I get a similar error to you. However, I can access engine, ABS, instrument cluster, immobiliser and when plugged into a later car, steering angle.

One thing to check - you are using the round 30-pin connector under the bonnet and NOT the OBDII connector under the dash? The under dash one only has access to the engine module, whereas the under bonnet one has everything.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Zola3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zola3 »

Thanks Robert: yes I use the under-bonnet 30 pin connector. Yes, I've bled ABS and so on but I'm sure I was unable to reset service lights in the past - not that that's a biggee - oil change every year & brake fluid every two - simples. (Thanks Mike btw I used a bit of wire on my old E30 years ago - the lights went out quicker in those days.)

If you get the same response from INPA for the alarm module then it is what it is then. Shame.

Anyway, MOT tomorrow :roll:

Will try 'new' bonnet switch after.