Third Brake Light Plug

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
PB63

Z3 roadster 1.9

Third Brake Light Plug

Post by PB63 »

Thanks to the hamfisted efforts of a previous owner, I need to replace the entire third brake light which shouldn't be too difficult. He also cut off the plug which attaches to the unit, which I would like to replace. There are two wires going to the light, but from what I can make out on diagrams, it's a three-pin socket. Does anyone know the part number of the required plug, preferably with wires attached? TIA!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Third Brake Light Plug

Post by Gazza »

Go to www.realoem.com click Classic model and enter your car details.

You can then search parts by category and get a part number.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
PB63

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by PB63 »

I tried that, but it doesn't show a part number for the actual plug, as far as I can see. The closest I can find is a repair wiring loom for the boot/trunk, but no specific numbers for individual connectors. It would be an expensive fix as the wiring is ok, apart from the missing plug. Might have to try soldering the wires to the pins on the stop light, but going by past soldering experiences, it probably won't end well!
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

I've just looked on RealOEM at the 3rd brake light and it shows a diagram of the light without a cable attached, suggesting that a cable plugs into the light. However, when I went onto ebay to look at lights for sale, most are shown with a cable attached and a 3 pole plug at the far end of the cable (see ebay 212572310360). Does your brake light have the cable and plug attached? If so you MAY need (only saying may) 3 pole universal pin terminal uncoded (part number 61136931929 plus the pins). Unfortunately RealOEM doesn't show a photo of the terminal, only a sketch but you might compare the ebay photo of the plug and the sketch and see if you think it's worth a try. If, however, there IS a plug built into the light and you need a socket to fit it, then I'm out of ideas (although why BMW would produce a short cable with a plug at one end and a socket on the other is beyond me) I'm afraid that BMW plugs & sockets are a nightmare as there is usually no indication as to where they are used.
PB63

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by PB63 »

Many thanks for your help, it's a pre-facelift light with a socket, into which the plug I'm after attaches to. I think the facelift version has a lead attached with a plug on the end, judging by the units I've seen on sale on eBay. I think the plug I need is female, the pins are on the light unit, but I think finding the correct one will be tricky!