Oil Leak

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Oil Leak

Post by Patty »

During my last MOT the garage informed me of a minor oil leak, I have noticed some drops of oil on the garage floor and on a number of occasions have tried to identify where the oil is coming from.
The underside of the sump from front to back has signs of oil, the front drive chain cover on the lower section on the drive side also shows signs with oil dripping onto the steering joint rubber boot directly below it.
I also found the oil filter top cap was not particularly tight with signs of oil on the housing below.
Has anyone else had experience of these kinds of leakage.
The drive chain cover leak would probably involve a replacement of the gasket is this a garage job?
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Oil Leak

Post by LaRy »

Have you checked the valve cover gasket? Mine started to leak a couple of years ago. My Z3 cannot be the only one.
When these cars were made, BMW did not know that the rubber in this gasket could not stand the syntetic oil. The gasket is getting hard as bakelite and will actually crack into pieces when you remove it. If you need a new gasket, it is a different kind of rubber.
Check for oil leak by moving a clean soft paper around the engine block, under the valve cover edge. Mine started to leak in the right hand side, back corner of the engine.
If you are going to change the gasket, you should also buy the rubber sockets for all 15 valve cover bolts.
Mazza

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mazza »

The only way to locate an oil leak is to get underneath, clean it all with brake cleaner and run the engine to look for the source of the leak.

The 1.9 M44 does suffer from leaks from the oil filter housing , not difficult to do but you have to remove a few items to get to it. I did mine last year.

Also the timing chain cover has a few gaskets that could leak, depending on which one is leaking is how difficult it can be to fix.

I am in Bognor Regis, happy to look at it if you are in the area.
Z3 tank strap supplier :roll: and Rock Star 8-)
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Patty »

Thanks for your advice and experience of this problem, I definitely believe that the chain cover has a leak so have booked it into my local garage for investigation and rectification, will let you know if they find any other leak locations.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

My timing chain cover is also leaking oil, I was advised to have the chain water pump done at the same time saves on labour, does this sound right?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

T reg so would think the mileage may be on the high side, if it is then it might well be prudent to have the timing chain and water pump renewed when its apart for the gasket renewal, would also change the gaskets where the oil filler unit bolts to the engine block, these are known issues when they go hard and brittle and develop leaks. Makes sense whilst its all apart.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Andyboy

blank.gif

Post by Andyboy »

Most of these leaks are the O ring in the oil filter housing. They go rock hard with age and can leak a lot of oil. It's a couple of hours to replace that and the gasket.