Luggage rack fitting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Luggage rack fitting

Post by rayboy »

I have a genuine luggage rack and fitted case that I fitted to my old Zed.
I now have a facelift 2.2 and can’t find the little indents on the boot lid that mark the places to drill the holes.
Any advice chaps?
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Re: Luggage rack fitting

Post by rayboy »

Hi again
The reason I’m asking is that the facelift boot lid is double skinned unlike my earlier Zed
Anybody know whether this means I can’t fit the rack?
I’m OK with drilling the holes if there are guidemarks

Thanks

Rayboy
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi Rayboy,

Well they certainly fit. There are a couple of posts on here for people wanting to buy already drilled facelift boot lids to avoid damaging a pristine one. And I've just seen a pic of one on Facebook, and there will no doubt be a lot more on here.

I didn't turn up a fitting thread, but I think you could do with getting hold of some later fitting instructions, which should cover the facelift cars.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Thanks Robert
I’ll do some more research
Failing that there could well be be a rack,fittings ,case and inside bag coming up for grabs.

Rayboy
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I would hate to drive with the massive blind spot a rack-mounted case will produce, particularly in Europe.

We used to go away camping for a month without needing a luggage rack - just use the amount of space avaiable in a Z3 - such as seven loo rolls inside the front bumper, and towels inside the roll-over bars/wind blocker, nice clothes hung behind the seats etc. See my bit in the Knowledgebase, or take fewer clothes!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

I totally agree about the lack of rearward vision. I’ve only used the case a few times in 16 years but I’m glad I’ve got the set. I started collecting as many OEM accessories I could find years ago
The only one I don’t like is the “Speedster” headrest cover.
You can get a lot in a Zed except the wheel and tyre if you get a flat. BMW didn’t think of that one.
My luggage rack and some bungee chords came in handy when I got a puncture a while back. Those wheels and tyres are huge !
Wasn’t there a tragic accident when the tyre exploded on a passenger’s lap and killed her?
I remember reading about it on here. Up in Scotland as I recall.

Life’s full of surprises.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, Not sure why you say some are single skinned and facelift double skinned. All the ones I have seen, pre and post, have a single skin over a framework. The dimples are on the edge of the framework, albeit some can be faint.
I have the BMW fitting sheets that refer to these dimples and makes no reference to pre/post. They are for a facelift car. What you need to do is fit some of the large plastic washers (part of the fitting kit) which come in differing thicknesses. The idea of these is to 'fill' the gap between the skin and framework, otherwise when you tighten the mounting bushes that the rack feet mount through you will end up dishing the outer skin downwards as it tries to tighten against the framework underneath.
You should also have a retaining strap to limit the travel of the bootlid to prevent it contacting the rear screen.
You are not possibly referring to an 'M' bootlid are you?
I agree on the lack of rear vision but don't they look cool :-)
I also collect original accessories - sad eh? We'll have to compare notes!

P.S Please get it the correct way around as opposed to those that think the dragster like performance will have the case flying off the back!!
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

I’ve found the dimples!
One easy to see the other three well disguised. I wondered whether the facelift lid differed in some way. No I just need new glasses.
Spacers, strap all there so on with the show! I like the way the case clips on and locks. It’s well engineered in that sense.
Keep it to yourself, I have been known to reverse the rack to hold our beach chairs and windbreak! That looks cool.imagine if they did a surfboard mount.I’d have one and I can’t even swim!

Sad but true!
Rayboy
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The boot lids are different, as the ///M carpet lining can't be directly retrofitted to the facelift, but I think that is just down to different cutouts in the framework.

If you think you've found the positions now, offer the rack up to the inside of the lid and verify they are in the correct positions.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Do not use aerolastics to secure anything outside a car! They will stretch to accommodate aerodynamic and weight loadings, possibly allowing whatever they are securing to fall off! Always use the woven ratchet straps sold in hiking shops, which are inexpensive, can be secured properly, and do not become slack.

A good example of what can happen was a surf board I saw on top of a car on the M5 one morning, which unknown to the driver had reached an angle of about 30 degrees as the wind pressure had stretched the aerolastics securing it to their limit. As a motorcyclist I would not like to tangle with such a thing, so I waved the driver onto the hard shoulder - he propbably thought my BMW R100RS was an unmarked police motorcycle!

He was very surprised when I told him of the hidden peril he was transporting, and really pleased when I presented him with a couple of long ratchet straps in the spirit of road safety!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!