BMW Z3 add electric hydraulic roof

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Sovicka

blank

BMW Z3 add electric hydraulic roof

Post by Sovicka »

Hello,

sorry, but I have problem with my Z3:-)......or maybe I m only stupid:-)

1) sorry for my english......:-)
2) One month ago I decided, import electric roof into my Z3. On Ebay I bought complete roof....switch, hydraulic pump, cables.......BUT, when I looking into my trunk and found connector for my hydraulic pump I have only this connector near left rear light(foto3)....but this connector have 6 pins in one line (but only 5 pins are active)(foto1). Connector from hydraulic pump have 8 pins in two lines (5 pins are active)...and totaly diferrent type of this connector(foto2).
My connector in my trunk is unique......I searched on Ebay, on forums....but all Hydraulic pumps have only this 8 pins connector.....nobody have 6 pins?

All things for electric roof I found on correct places.....connector for microswitch, connector for switcg on rear place for switches......parts for hydraulic piston......all......but I have only problem with connector......

I have all manuals for this operation from BMW....but nothing......

Is this my connector correct for hydraulic pump? Maybe version facelift, after facelift?

What now? Do you have this problem anbody?

thx for help

I have BMW Z3, 2,8l, 1997 april......

Mod Edit: Fixed image links
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMW Z3 add electric hydraulic roof

Post by LaRy »

I´ve been looking into the electrical drawings for your car. The plug on the pump is OK, the other is maybe changed.
What about colors? Do you have the same colors on female and male. In that case, make a simple connection with any plug.
I think the length of the flex cable in the trunk is rather short. Can it really reach all the way up to the pump?
Sovicka

blank

Post by Sovicka »

Hello,

thx for your answer.....

Yes, plug on the pump is OK, problem will be in plug in my trunk.....I hope:-).

First question is......is this really plug for hydraulic pump?

Cables colors?.....count is the same....colors are similar not the same (photo), and I dont have schema....

Cable lenhght will be OK....I must only separate this cables form primary bunch (black tape).....

Thx

Mod Edit: Fixed image link
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Attaching electrical drawings for the soft top. I hope it will help you. The drawings are valid for Z3, 1997.I would say that the plug in the car is wrong. That type of plug do only exist in a totally different place.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Sorry, but I got some info: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
I don't know what to do. So, no attached pictures of the electrical drawings.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Lack of disk space means that the attachment mechanism doesn't work. Images and documents need to be hosted on another site, such as any of the free image hosting platforms.

Links to the ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals) are listed in the knowledgebase here.

Regarding the wiring for the electric roof, I have an idea you might find it folded back on itself behind the left-hand lateral trim panel (the bit that the gas strut/hydraulic ram hides behind). I know that the wiring for the roof microswitch is not taken up to its position by the leftmost seatbelt turret when the can is not factory fitted with an electric roof, as the same loom is used for the hardtop heated rear window, and that is where it is to be found. It just depends on whether it is another branch of the same part of the loom or not.

There will be several connectors in the boot/trunk which may or may not be used depending upon what options you have fitted to your car. The wiring for the CD multichanger on mine was hidden behind some of the carpet in mine - two connectors, one for audio, one for power.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Good links to the ETM, RobertT. Sovicka can now have a look at electrical drawing 5430.2. Something is odd, or the cable harness does not exist in the car. Unfortunately my Z3 in still in winter sleep, far away, so I can't check.
Sovicka

blank

Post by Sovicka »

Hello,

thx for your answers. Problem was resolved. My plug is really prepaired for electrical roof, but I have probably exotic plug:-).

I found another users with this same plugs and they have resolution on my problem....

Cut both plugs and join wires .....

Red-Yellow(wide cable) connect to Blue-Red(wide cable)
Red-Yellow(wide cable) connect to Red-Yellow(wide cable)
Brown-Yellow(thin cable) connect to Brown-Yellow(thin cable)
Brown-Red(thin cable) connect to Brown-Red(thin cable)
Blue-Red(thin cable) connect to Blue-Red 2x(thin cable)

Thx

Sovicka
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Good that you solved it. I looked into the electric documentation for your car. It is an exotic plug, normally found in the left footwell, right hand side. Purpose, to connect some component for the AC evaporator.
Sovicka

blank

Post by Sovicka »

I hope I solved it :-), I don't have it involved, maybe tomorrow.

I have one more question, the upper (bearing) of the piston ...... I don't have this part on my car

Information about this part I found on french forum.....

http://www.bmwz3club.fr/site/faq/instal ... trique.pdf

Someone know what part it is, I can't find it anywhere .....anw where I buy it.....

Thx

Mod Edit: Changed link to embed codes
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I understand your frustration. I checked the BMW spar parte catalouge, and the part just don't exist. Anyway, I would in your case visit a BMW dealer and show the picture. Hopefully they will make a request to Germany.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I made a request in the Swedish BMW Z forum. The reply is that BMW offers electric softtop update for Z3, manufacured from 5/97, not earlier. Is your car made before this month? It seems like the frame was changed after that month. This part is maybe a part of the complete frame, not sold as a separate part.
The Swedish Z3 forum also reccomend you too send a picture to the car scrap companies and ask.
Personally, I have a good impression from a German company selling BMW parts, Hubauer-shop.de. They are very helpful, English / German language is ok, payment by creditcard and international deliveries.
Send the picture to them and ask. Hubauer is an official BMW sparepart sales company, so I guess they will ask BMW.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you don't have that part on your car, how does the existing gas strut attach to the roof frame? To fit the electric option, the gas stut is replaced by the hydraulic ram.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc