New convertible roof questions?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

New convertible roof questions?

Post by Warrior »

Finally getting round to replacing the roof on my Z3 and have narrowed down the search to one made by Monsoon that uses Hartz fabric as used by BMW.

Mine is a 2002 model with the air vents in the rear sides but Monsoon now only do the one without vents that I believe was fitted onto earlier models? Has anybody a view on whether they are necessary?

Also, I spoke to the fitter who wasn't immediately aware of the lining in my existing roof. Was this an extra that can be transferred to the new roof or have I mis described it in the brief conversation we had?

Cheers...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: New convertible roof questions?

Post by Robert T »

Lining was only fitted to facelift models. It can be retrofitted to pre-facelift models. If it is in good condition, it just needs transferring across.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Had my roof replaced a few years back by the The Soft Top Shop based in Stockport.

He offers roofs with or without relief pockets.

I can confirm that the lining stays in place. It doesn't need to be removed at all. The new roof just goes on over it.

Cheers
Mark
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Thanks for your feedback...

Will report back when sorted. Probably going with Soft Tops Croydon based on multiple reviews on all cars including Zeds...
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

Warrior wrote: Fri 09 Apr, 2021 21:52 Thanks for your feedback...

Will report back when sorted. Probably going with Soft Tops Croydon based on multiple reviews on all cars including Zeds...
I'm booked in with Dee in a couple of weeks' time! :)
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

Had mine fitted at soft tops Croydon last year, great price and first class job.
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

Visited Dee at Soft Tops Croydon last week for a new black hood at £575 fitted. Really pleased with it - the hoods are hand made by Dee and are terrific quality. Having a new window makes all the difference too!

Fitting time was about 3.5 hours and although I'm hardly the best shopper in the world, there was enough open post-lockdown around Croydon to explore and use up the time. I had booked a table at a pub for lunch, only they called after dropping the car in to say their kitchen had a fault! :roll:

Here's some pictures:

The car looks miles better now. Just the bodywork to think about next :?
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Looks really nice, what's the material?
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

I'm not sure of the material. Their website doesn't mention Mohair but it does look like OEM spec.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Thanks Ben, my roofs still the original so is now 24 years old, could do with changing...my better half a family live in ingatestoe so next time we visit, a trip to Chelmsford could be on the cards..
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

It's a lot of good material out there, but the best brand is Sonnenland. If someone is offering Sonnenland, it is worth a little extra.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Why is Sonnenland the best. As they say: Sonnenland" is the brand name for a 3-layer, high quality topping. Originally used by Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW and other top marques, will remain like new for many years.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Benw123 wrote: Wed 05 May, 2021 10:59 Visited Dee at Soft Tops Croydon last week for a new black hood at £575 fitted. Really pleased with it - the hoods are hand made by Dee and are terrific quality. Having a new window makes all the difference too!
l:

Here's some pictures:

The car looks miles better now. Just the bodywork to think about next :?
The frame on the drivers side rear looks to be pushing out and creating a larger than normal (compared to my Z3 roof) concave area. Is this just the angle of the photograph, the lighting etc.,?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Seems to me it all depends on where in the country you are and how far you are prepared to travel and pay for a replacement hood.
Having followed numerous threads on replacement reccomendations it seems choices are
North - The Soft Top Shop in Stockport

South - Soft Tops in Croydon

West and Wales - Jack Smith Trimmers in Swansea

Have seen an example of Jacks work and it was very good, many forum owners also use him, he has a waiting list so very popular and extreamly well priced judging by all the feedback I have seen. Completed same day whilst you explore the City.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

Warrior wrote: Wed 12 May, 2021 10:08 The frame on the drivers side rear looks to be pushing out and creating a larger than normal (compared to my Z3 roof) concave area. Is this just the angle of the photograph, the lighting etc.,?
Yes I agree it does look like it's protruding out a little more. Just looked again and it seems fine - could be the shadow that's making it look like that - but the roof has been fine so far. Fully watertight and folding it is much easier.
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

domross wrote: Sat 08 May, 2021 06:09 Thanks Ben, my roofs still the original so is now 24 years old, could do with changing...my better half a family live in ingatestoe so next time we visit, a trip to Chelmsford could be on the cards..
You mean Croydon?! But yes, not a million miles away from Ingatestone - down the A12, M25, across the Dartford bridge and then A21 into town.

Had a look on the Soft Tops website and Twilfast is mentioned - I think this is the material.