matching a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 with an Asymmetric 3 (front tyres)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

matching a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 with an Asymmetric 3 (front tyres)

Post by burmagirl »

Hello all

I need to get one front tyre - the other is fairly new so would rather not buy both front tyres if I can help it. Has anyone mixed the Asymmetric 5 and 3? I've always matched like for like...

many thanks!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: matching a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 with an Asymmetric 3 (front tyres)

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I had to throw away a little-used Falken FK-453 245-40 X 17 to get through a French MoT, as to mix tyre types in this way on the same axle is an MoT failure here - and maybe the UK too?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: matching a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 with an Asymmetric 3 (front tyres)

Post by burmagirl »

i hope my garage would have told me ift was the case! The F1 As 5 has superseded the As3 so it wasn't available in the configuration i needed. Usually i replace both at the same time but due to the pandemic it's hardly been used and the front tyres were almost new. I'll give the garage a call, think. Thanks, Mike!

M coupe S50

Post by 137699 »

It won't fail an MOT but it's never best practise to mix two different tyres on the same axle.