Experience with non OEM 2.8-3.0 replica bumpers?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
EarlLeeBird

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Experience with non OEM 2.8-3.0 replica bumpers?

Post by EarlLeeBird »

I was looking into upgrading my 1.9 front bumper to a 3.0 one (51118400160) but it seems there is no stock for new OEM ones and used ones are hard to come by since most of the salvaged cars have front end damage ore the bumper has been already badly repaired.

I found that there are 4 manufacturers that produce replica bumpers, all in about same 280.- price range:
Van Wezel, Prasco, Blic and Diederichs.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these or some other brand and can comment on the material, quality and fitment.

Cheers,
Aivo
EarlLeeBird

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Experience with non OEM 2.8-3.0 replica bumpers?

Post by EarlLeeBird »

Update - got one manufactured by Diederichs. Quality and fitment wise it is on a very acceptable level. Material is ABS plastic - same as OEM but it didn't come primed as the OEM one which shouldnt be a problem for a proffessional painter.

Regarding number plate base, fog lights, side markers and assembly brackets, all parts from previous 1.9 bumper can be used, only the grille (+ spring nuts) and small plastic covers next to fog lights have to be sourced specific to new bumper. Spring nuts are same but qty is different and if you want to keep the old bumper for spare, these cant be removed without damaging the counter part on the bumper.