1.9 owners - help me out re: warning lights on startup?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lostinla

Z3 roadster 1.9

1.9 owners - help me out re: warning lights on startup?

Post by lostinla »

Hey all -

I have a March 1996 1.9 Z3 with ABS, no ASC or DSC. I've been going nuts, trying to chase down an intermittent p0500 code (generic, "speed sensor A"). It started popping up immediately after replacing my knock sensors and crankshaft position sensor.

The thing is, I'm not getting an ABS light at all -- after the DME registers the fault twice, the CEL warning is illuminated, but never the ABS light. I've pulled the cluster and confirmed that the bulb is good, so that's not the issue. (Though I haven't run test leads to the contact points, which I'll do next, depending on what I learn here.)

What I want to know is, does your ABS warning indicator light up as part of the normal startup tests when you turn on the ignition switch and/or when you do a cluster test? A smart guy told me it definitely SHOULD light up in both instances, but a dozen+ vids on youtube seem to show otherwise.

SO -- If any of you have a moment, can you do either or both of the following?:

1. start your car and tell me which lights turn on (and then turn off after a second or two); and/or

2. do the instrument self-test: with key in OFF position, press the trip odometer reset button and, while holding it in, turn the key to the ACC position and release the button -- the odometer readout will show "1" where the trip mileage usually appears; then it will show 2, 3, 4, ... up to 7, which is the one you want to watch. The needles on the gauges will all sweep through their full range and at least *some* warning lights should illuminate -- note WHICH lights come on!

Thanks in advance for your help!

David
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: 1.9 owners - help me out re: warning lights on startup?

Post by LaRy »

When ignition is switched on, all varning bulbs lite up for a second as a lamp test. The ABS symbol in the middle remains on for additional 1 second.
After that, the oil and battery remains on until the engine is running.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I want to add the following information. Fuse F27 must be ok to make the ABS light on.
This is happening. You turn the ignition on, F27 is feeding the ABS bulb, but on the negative side, it is included a diod on its way to ground.
When the ABS control module is ready, this will feed the bulb with 12VDC from both sides and light is off.
Do you have an ABS relay, maybe not? In my 6 cyl Z3, when switching the ignition on, you can hear the ABS Relay to click on after 2 seconds, at the same time as the ABS bulb is switching off. According to the electrical drawings, the solution is different in your 4 cyl Z3. But feeding 12VDC from both sides in order to switch off the bulb is similar.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Below is a video of my cluster on startup:

Mine was built 01/99 and has the later 19 test self-test mode, so the startup sequence may be slightly different.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc