Suddenly stopped starting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mabsimmo

Z3 roadster 1.9

Suddenly stopped starting

Post by mabsimmo »

Long story short: coolant pipe under the intake manifold busted, so I replaced it. Removed intake system to replace the pipe and got everything back together and the car started right up. Let it run to temp, shut it off, checked coolant level, started back up, pulled out of garage, shut it off, used my code reader to clear the check engine light, turned it back on and ran fine, shut it off, came back to turn it on and now it just sits and cranks.

I can't tell if the fuel pump is priming or not when I turn the ignition on. I don't recall it being loud before, but I don't necessarily hear anything now. I haven't checked it yet to see if it's getting power from the relay. I also don't know where the relay is on this one as it seems like it could be in numerous places. This is a 1997 1.9l US model. The fuses under the hood for the fuel pump are good. Any other thoughts or ideas I should try?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Suddenly stopped starting

Post by Robert T »

One known problem for non-starting is a bad MAF. Try unplugging it and see if it starts.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mabsimmo

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mabsimmo »

Thanks for the tip Robert. I tried that and it didn't seem to make a difference. Any other ideas?
mabsimmo

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mabsimmo »

Okay
Robert T wrote: Sat 28 Aug, 2021 13:42 One known problem for non-starting is a bad MAF. Try unplugging it and see if it starts.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Okay, I found the issue! It's the Camshaft sensor. I pulled the upper intake and checked the cam and crank sensors were plugged in okay and then put everything back together and it fired right up. I took it for a 4 mile test and it drove fine, however at idle it pulses the revs and the CEL comes on with code P0330. Sounds like the cam sensor is bad and needs replaced.
mabsimmo

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mabsimmo »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W7VTRf5pyHeyLkRx7

I replaced the cam sensor but the pulsing still persists. Will fixing the cable to the intermediate throttle fix this issue, or is there something else? I believe the clip holding the cable into the bracket was already broken, but can't say for sure.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk