Replaced rear window, suggestions for others.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Red2.5

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Replaced rear window, suggestions for others.

Post by Red2.5 »

Greetings, I just replaced the leaking rear window on the 2000 and wanted to offer some insights to others. I purchased a high quality window that features the rubber seal that I believe mimics the stock BMW replacement. It was about $60 more than another that has a fabric surround that probably requires glue vs the double sided tape for this more expensive one. In reality, I probably would have been much better off with the cheaper version due to its fabric covering. My top had been abused around the window, where previous owners had tried to glue it down after the original rubber worn away, making a horrible mess of the material that is designed to fit up under the rubber seal. In addition, the zipper starts did not start in the same place as the original, and ultimately my best guess after lining it up with the old window still ended up being off enough that, combined with the material damage, the material would not stay put under the rubber as designed in a couple places. I feel the other window would have accommodated much better for that with the additional canvass it has, even if it didn't look completely stock.
So, if your top is in good shape and just needs the window replaced, you should be fine with the rubber seal. If not, consider the alternatives that may end up sealing better in the long run. I wish I had, as now I'm into using black silicone to try and span the spots were the material pulls away. Also, be prepared to do some stitching if any of the originals are pulling out. The force required to install the new window will undoubtedly pull out torn stitches and you'll be cursing the day away. It will take a strong needle and quality thread.
Hope this helps someone!
:D
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Replaced rear window, suggestions for others.

Post by motco »

Thanks for that Red, it has convinced me to obey the old adage "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!". My 2002 2.2i rear window is only slightly misted and has a crease mark across it, but it does the job perfectly whilst still looking less than pristine. I know it will have embrittled with age so I avoid flexing it at low temperatures. Your story tells me to accept it while it's weatherproof.
Red2.5

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Re: Replaced rear window, suggestions for others.

Post by Red2.5 »

Agreed Motco, I will always take function over form any day. I've briefly seen some videos etc on how to clean and protect the plastic windows, and considering what the alternatives are I will be gentle with it!